USMC Sweetheart Items

teufelhunde.ret

I think it's likely WWII...a lot of WWII sweetheart jewelry utilized old model EGA's...my question is what the heck kind of lingerie did it clasp? Very interesting

If you look at the patent, it was like a strap clip for undergarments (lingerie). It looked like it would keep multiple straps together right below the front of the shoulder. The company closed in 1922, so I don't think someone would take old stock of lingerie clasp to make WWII items. There were later patents by other companies for lingerie garments in the 30s and they were being made of plastic. It is definitely an odd combination, if it could only talk...

What is the date range for the EGA?

Thanks,

-TRR

Didn't notice the dates...is the EGA device original to it or homemade attached? There was a WWII sweetheart pin of very similar design but enamel with a red/white/blue border.

The EGA was used on various discharge buttons from WWI-20s, maybe into the 30s. Sweetheart jewelry into WWII, though evidently not by this company

Didn't notice the dates...is the EGA device original to it or homemade attached? There was a WWII sweetheart pin of very similar design but enamel with a red/white/blue border.

The EGA was used on various discharge buttons from WWI-20s, maybe into the 30s. Sweetheart jewelry into WWII, though evidently not by this company

Under a loop it has been soldered to the clip. Such a fine line a naked eye could not see, so that leads me to believe it was original. It is always plausible that another company put the two pieces together. It was just so odd and the individual I bought it from had no clue where it had even come from.

-TRR

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for this one? Are yoou interested in selling?

Thank you, gwhitley

?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Have had this for awhile now...nice set of lifetime matched EGA's turned into a lifetime matched set of sweetheart pin & earrings

101_0984.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Made by J.E.C. & Co. anyone know about them?

Hello,

I was looking back at this thread and couldn't find where this hallmark was identified. J.E.C. & Co. is J. E. Caldwell and Company they were based out of Philadelphia. This company is no longer in business. It was well known for producing all the official insignia for the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) from 1890 until 2009. Now the Hamilton Insignia Company produces all official DAR insignia.

The "R. G." below stands for rolled gold. Items marked rolled gold (RG) or rolled gold plating (RGP) generally have a thinner layer of gold than those items marked "Gold-Filled" of "GF".

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Some really nice pieces shown in this thread. I am not an EGA collector but can certainly appreciate the workmanship that went into a lot of these. My impression has always been that the details on many of these (not all) is as nicer (in some cases even nicer) than many of the service pieces.

Here is my one piece which I don't believe has been shown yet. Always really liked the details on this one.

ww.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi, no posts for over a year in the interesting thread so.......

I just purchased this nice WW2 USMC sweetheart pin, both the bulldog and the EGA are marked 'AMICO STERLING'....... the bulldog is 11mm high.

cheers, John

post-105780-0-79538400-1507358437_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
Gerradtgrant

Looking through this thread, I am confident this is a sweetheart piece. Several of these where posted by Bobgee in the first few threads. Would the lines in the globe have been hand done? f3b40378dbbc7f18230c068b1283adc9.jpg78911e6c53f190a4cbc0e61b9161ab84.jpgcb9016fbcb0fe844e0217977122c365c.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Gerradtgrant

Makes sense, seems time consuming either way. Definitely well made. Would this be WWII time frame?

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk