USMC Sweetheart Items

teufelhunde.ret

Nice grouping, Brig. I think the EGA on aluminum are the left & right halves of a 'trench art' watch band. The aluminum is likely from a downed Japanese plane. This was pretty common material in the WW2 Pacific.

S/F.................Bob

never thought of a watch band. I think it's a very cool item myself. must have made it after an operation or had his EGAs with him

teufelhunde.ret
a few small emblems. the top one is an enlisted version China Marine EGA, very tiny, goldmarked 1/20. No loop for a chain, so this is the whole piece. Do you guys think pre-WWII or WWII following old regs?

the silver one was once gold covered but it has worn off. Again, guessing WWII.

the brown one I don't know about, looks like it was glued to something, maybe a bigger piece? Again, guessing WWII

Tim sure hope you will get that picture into the sweetheart reference section: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=523

Nice grouping, Brig. I think the EGA on aluminum are the left & right halves of a 'trench art' watch band. The aluminum is likely from a downed Japanese plane. This was pretty common material in the WW2 Pacific.

S/F.................Bob

If those pieces are trench art from aircraft aluminum, that moves them into a whole different league than the typical sweetheart pieces.

Coincidently, I just bought a similar piece for $9.95 on ebay: it was cheap enough that curiosity got the best of me. These are the very bad photos from the ebay listing:

brace.JPG

braceega.JPG

all of these will make it to the reference section thumbsup.gif

nice bracelet. 10 dollars was a good deal. I paid $5 for my set of trenchart watch plates on eBay

• 2 weeks later...
rears

Very interesting pieces. You know, I used to live on the Navajo Reservation for three years and I married a Navajo woman. To me, those watch bands are something VERY similar that I have seen numerous times being worn by males on the Rez. I am not saying that is what you have, but that is simialr in style to the watchbands I've seen being worn by the Navajos. Just my two cents worth.

Arch

Very interesting pieces. You know, I used to live on the Navajo Reservation for three years and I married a Navajo woman. To me, those watch bands are something VERY similar that I have seen numerous times being worn by males on the Rez. I am not saying that is what you have, but that is simialr in style to the watchbands I've seen being worn by the Navajos. Just my two cents worth.

Arch

thanks...at the very least, it let's the imagination get some exerise! interesting prospect

Brig, was going thru my display trays and found this.

Thought you would appreciate this one.

it is just like the one in US SWEETHEART JEWELRY.

by Schiffer Books.

post-633-1189734064.jpg

post-633-1189734069.jpg

Carey

• 2 weeks later...

A recent jewelry box pickup, this small pin is STERLING marked only with wire catch. As you can see from the comparison photo, it's a rather small pin.

Gary

post-84-1190690535.jpg

post-84-1190690548.jpg

post-84-1190690557.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got this small pin back with a small lot from a WWI army vet (77th Div). The EG&A pin back is the only USMC item with it, so it must have been something he picked up along the way or got from someone.

Any help with indentifcation of use and date it and if it has much of any value.

post-141-1197506729.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here is one that came from an uncle that served during WWII...part of the sweetheart items he picked up at Parris Island 1943-44. He also gave a large table runner made of the same design/color/material as this with EGA's at each end.

marine_169A.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

I find myself thinking the same thing as Bob.... all about the classical WW2 sweetheart in sterling. Nonetheless I love these creations, and so happy to see that many survived the great Hunt Bros meltdown.

• 1 month later...
Stinger Gunner USMC

Not specifically USMC but my Grandfather brought this card table cloth back from Alaska when he was there in Marines The hankie was given to my Great-grandmother my my Grandpa

post-1672-1210362298.jpg

post-1672-1210362335.jpg