M3 knife

sgtdorango

I saw this M3 knife at an upcoming auction localy....Tuesday night to be exact.....there is only one other military item there (a large US food storage container)....so I think i may have a shot at it, cant tell from the pic if its blade marked or not, kinda rough shape.....knives arent my thing so I was hoping you guys could help me out with a ball park price to bid if it were blade marked and if its not, I just dont want to end up paying more than its worth or get cought up in a bidding war and lose focus.....only have the one pic.....thanks for any help!....mike

post-350-1269313352.jpg

I saw this M3 knife at an upcoming auction localy....Tuesday night to be exact.....there is only one other military item there (a large US food storage container)....so I think i may have a shot at it, cant tell from the pic if its blade marked or not, kinda rough shape.....knives arent my thing so I was hoping you guys could help me out with a ball park price to bid if it were blade marked and if its not, I just dont want to end up paying more than its worth or get cought up in a bidding war and lose focus.....only have the one pic.....thanks for any help!....mike

post-350-1269313352.jpg

I'll take a stab at it, hard to tell by the photos but it looks as if the pommel has 2 pins going through it. if thats the case it narrows down the manufactures. my first guess would be Camillus Cutlery where during the time period they produced 402,909 knives of the total produced from all makers ( 2,590,247)

looks like it would need some love, if you had a chance to hold it you could determine if there was major pitting or rust. Or if the handle was tight or dry rotting. these factors could further determine what a collector may pay, but its hard to give an actual cash value as far as worth.

How much does a piece of history run anyway?

looks like it would need some love, if you had a chance to hold it you could determine if there was major pitting or rust. Or if the handle was tight or dry rotting. these factors could further determine what a collector may pay, but its hard to give an actual cash value as far as worth.

I agree with Orko. Looks like there is some kind of repair just below the pommel. If it was me, I would pass for a nicer specimen, unless I could get it real cheap--say, $50, or less.

HTH.

Thanks guys, I was thinking $40-$100 and really didnt want to go to $100 in this condition, I wasnt sure if they are worth more.... :think: ....thanks again, will post pics if I get it!......mike

Went to the auction tonight, didnt get the M3.....it sold for $85 + auction fees so roughly close to $100...it was a hilt marked ACC?...with a nice M8 scabbard, i think it was a BCC maker?.....knife was solid, just a little dirty and small amount of surface rust, double peened, not bad but a little worn...I was hoping to get it for a better price and when it went over $80 I knew the guy who ended up getting it wasnt going to give up easily and I would have had to go to $100+ to get it counting fees, so it was nice but had to let it go!...figured for that kind of money there are better ones to be had but Im sure nicer ones will cost much more, I would also rather have a blade marked....thanks for all your help on this.....mike :thumbsup:

Went to the auction tonight, didnt get the M3.....it sold for $85 + auction fees so roughly close to $100...it was a hilt marked ACC?...with a nice M8 scabbard, i think it was a BCC maker?.....knife was solid, just a little dirty and small amount of surface rust, double peened, not bad but a little worn...I was hoping to get it for a better price and when it went over $80 I knew the guy who ended up getting it wasnt going to give up easily and I would have had to go to $100+ to get it counting fees, so it was nice but had to let it go!...figured for that kind of money there are better ones to be had but Im sure nicer ones will cost much more, I would also rather have a blade marked....thanks for all your help on this.....mike :thumbsup:

If you had your heart set on a blade marked example then you did well to let this one go. However, just as a point of reference, if you check out eBay you will see that nice M8 scabbards alone are going for around $80 and sometimes more. I am not saying that these are not insane prices, but, I think the price that this fighting knife and scabbard went for was not at all unreasonable. I much nicer condition knife and scabbard will top $100 and a blade marked example could go for double the final auction bid.

Happy hunting.

Tim

Yeah!....I wish I was more educated on these knives!...but it would have been a bidding war if I went for it...I also noticed the guy who bought it at the auction has put it up for sale over on the WAF for $225......if anyone wants to see better photos heres the link http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=424474 good for him!....he knows his stuff!..I should stick to helmets!!.. :thumbsup: ...mike

Yeah!....I wish I was more educated on these knives!...but it would have been a bidding war if I went for it...I also noticed the guy who bought it at the auction has put it up for sale over on the WAF for $225......if anyone wants to see better photos heres the link http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ad.php?t=424474 good for him!....he knows his stuff!..I should stick to helmets!!.. :thumbsup: ...mike

Sadly WAF does not make its photos viewable by non-members.

Sadly WAF does not make its photos viewable by non-members.

Hopefully, it is not inappropriate of me to do so, but, here are the photos for everyone's review.

Tim

post-5225-1269468926.jpg

[quote name='Forum Support' post='517720' date='Mar 24 2010, 02:02 PM']Sadly WAF does not make its photos viewable by non-members.[/quote]

Thanks for posting the photos, Tim. Looks like somebody tried sharpening it with a grinder. Like Sgt. Dorango said, $85 + fees = $100, and it would have gone much higher if he would have bid against the other guy. Not worth it, IMHO, unless I had to have this particular model. Proof that it's not that nice is that the guy is now asking $225; if it was that nice, he would be asking $400 according to the topic referenced earlier.