G.I. camouflage face paint. What period?

Sabrejet

What we have here are three tubes of Army issue camouflage face paint made by the famous Pond's cosmetic company. The tubes are printed with the colours contained therein and various manufacturer's stock and QM numbers, but no actual date of manufacture... as far as I can see! Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks.

post-8022-1269284270.jpg post-8022-1269284260.jpg

Sabrejet

I got some like this from the estate of a National Guardsman with the 32nd Division during the early 50's. Don't know if that helps you much.

DutchInfid3l

Used to play with these all the time, my dad always had them around during the '80s. I just ran across mine the other day while looking for some stuff... let's see if I can find it again ;)

Ian, I used these type tubes when I was training in 1970. As far as I know, they are Viet Nam period. George

Ian, I used these type tubes when I was training in 1970. As far as I know, they are Viet Nam period. George

Hello George. Anytime between 50s /60s then , maybe? Perhaps one of those issue items which remained relatively unchanged over a period of time?

Ian :thumbsup:

DutchInfid3l

Ah yes, found one.

This one says:

6850-00-161-6204

PAINT, FACE, CAMOUFLAGE

MIL-P-2018J

LIGHT GREEN AND LOAM

Truetech, Inc.

Riverhead, NY

Lot number 1501-2 Manufacture date 5/97

market garden

I believe larger metal tubes were used during WW 2 for the camo face paint. I have a few of them. Market garden

Ah yes, found one.

This one says:

6850-00-161-6204

PAINT, FACE, CAMOUFLAGE

MIL-P-2018J

LIGHT GREEN AND LOAM

Truetech, Inc.

Riverhead, NY

Lot number 1501-2 Manufacture date 5/97

Any chance of posting a pic, Dutch?

I believe larger metal tubes were used during WW 2 for the camo face paint. I have a few of them. Market garden

I may be wrong, but I agree with Market Garden. I have always thought that the bigger tubes marked with a Stock Number, like the ones Sabre shows above were WWII vintage. The other, later tubes usually have an FSN or NSN number.

Dennis

Those are WWII vintage. The Pond's Extract Company name was used through 1954. They made six million tubes of the two-toned camo cream in WWII (and no doubt the military had warehouses full of them through the 50's).

ponds.jpg

I almost fell out of my chair. I have the exact same tube, that I bought from a surplus vendor in a flea market in New Jersey in the early 1970's.

Those are WWII vintage. The Pond's Extract Company name was used through 1954. They made six million tubes of the two-toned camo cream in WWII (and no doubt the military had warehouses full of them through the 50's).

post-214-1269312452.jpg

Yeah?! Thanks Forum Support...you've made my day!

What we have here are three tubes of Army issue camouflage face paint made by the famous Pond's cosmetic company. The tubes are printed with the colours contained therein and various manufacturer's stock and QM numbers, but no actual date of manufacture... as far as I can see! Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks.

post-8022-1269284270.jpg post-8022-1269284260.jpg

Sabrejet

The ones I have are the same except the stock numbers are29-P-825

The ones I have are the same except the stock numbers are29-P-825

Hi LtRGFRANK. That's a remarkably close batch number!

Ian

I just checked my "light green and loam" one, and it has the same batch number as Sabrejets', 29-P-800. That's cooler than the other side of the pillow :thumbsup:

Jumpin Jack

I just checked my specimen, and it's the same stock number. My piece is guarenteed Invasion stock right out of the crate. Jack Angolia

Not to hijack the thread but I thought I would show some pictures of the earlier issue face camoflage. This kit was manufactured by COTY Inc. in NYC. I have seen photographic evidence of its use by Paratroopers during the Invasion of Southern France but that's all. Does anyone have any documentation of use for this type or the metal tubes during any other operations?

Bryan

MVC-061S.jpg

MVC-064S.jpg

MVC-063S.jpg

MVC-062S.jpg

I just checked my specimen, and it's the same stock number. My piece is guarenteed Invasion stock right out of the crate. Jack Angolia

Jumpin Jack and Hotlead. That's a remarkable co-incidence...what are the odds against them having come out of the very same crate?!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

craig_pickrall

This HOW TO USE INSTRUCTION SHEET is dated FEB, 1945. There were several of these stapeled together in each case of camo tubes. You can see the stapel hole above the AND in the top right corner.

post-5-1269443847.jpg

post-5-1269443857.jpg

craig_pickrall

This HOW TO USE INSTRUCTION SHEET is undated but was wrapped around a 1962 dated tube of camo. The instructions are a carry over from the WW2 sheet but with some changes. The sheet is half the size of the WW2 sheet and has instructions on both sides. This made the sheet the right size to fold and roll around each tube of camo. It was held with a rubber band. There is a ZIP code in the address and this code was first used in 1962. It is interesting to note that the chemical contents have been added like the GI had some choice in the use. Also note that comments about using the stick on web gear and insignia have been added.

post-5-1269444261.jpg

post-5-1269444267.jpg

post-5-1269444275.jpg