Need Help to Identify a heavy coat

Rmasters3

Have not been able to identify a heavy canvas wool shearling lined coat. Wool collar buttons on, I have seen some British stuff that resembled it. Any help? Thanks

craig_pickrall

I'm guessing either photos or a much better description will be needed to get any help.

Does it have any kind of tags, stamps, or labels?

No tags stamps or labels. Looks like there were some, once upon a time, but none remain.

Not sayin it is,but with that collar,early aviation maybe?

That was one of my first thoughts but most examples that I have seen have a map pocket on the left side.

General Apathy

post-344-1269269919.jpg

Have not been able to identify a heavy canvas wool shearling lined coat. Wool collar buttons on, I have seen some British stuff that resembled it. Any help? Thanks

Hi, I don't believe the mutton collar has anything to do with this style of coat, I think it's an addition that someone has added to it, I think the mutton collar is off a pair of flying overalls.

The Coat it's self I think you are heading in the right direction with thoughts of it being British or British commonwealth, sometimes there are white labels sewn on the inside of the front edge next to the sheepskin lining. Or more often than that there are black inked broad arrows and inspection marks somewhere around that tan edge next to the sheepskin. I think there are two patterns of coat like this, this one with the sheepskin and the other pattern is blanket line throughout.

It's not really my field of collecting but maybe all I know about them, I think you will find photo's of this coat or another very similar to it being worn by British 8th army servicemen in the North African campaign around 1942 when it gets very cold of a night.

Cheers Lewis

General Apathy

Hi Forum Members & Readers, forgot to mention that the photograph posted in post # 9 is attributed to members of the Long Range Desert Group ( LRDG ) behind German lines on road watch, recording and reporting back on troop and vehicle movements

Cheers Lewis

Hi Ken. I agree it definitely has a British look about it...and, as a previous poster has already suggested, it also looks like it could be an open-cockpit aviators' coat?

Ian :think:

THANKS! I took another look and there are the remains of a white label on the lower inside right-hand canvas where you described. It can't be seen in my photos the way the jacket is folded back. No arrows, stencils, etc., or other stamps to be found. The collar is certainly old, but I can see where it's very possibly a theater add-on. Overall, it's in surpringly good shape. The underside of the fur collar looks like the sort of green fabric I've seen on flying suits.

Can you suggest a web site or two where I could find more similar photos?

Again, thanks.

General Apathy
THANKS! I took another look and there are the remains of a white label on the lower inside right-hand canvas where you described. It can't be seen in my photos the way the jacket is folded back. No arrows, stencils, etc., or other stamps to be found. The collar is certainly old, but I can see where it's very possibly a theater add-on. Overall, it's in surpringly good shape. The underside of the fur collar looks like the sort of green fabric I've seen on flying suits.

Can you suggest a web site or two where I could find more similar photos?

Again, thanks.

Take a look at the link below, it will bring up the home page for the LRDG, sets of thumbnail photo's will appear.

Take a look at the three men stood talking on the third row down, the instructions at the top of the page state

' click on any photo in a row and enlargements of that row will appear' .

When you see the enlargement of the three men, you will note that the chap on the left has your coat on and the front is open and it's possible to see the sheepskin, also note that the chap on the right has the same coat as yours but with the other method of closure in place of the buttons it has metal buckles, similar to the buckles on American rubber overboots of WWII.

The collar with the blanket lining on is original and part of the coat, the fur mouton collar has nothing to do with this coat and is a post manufacture add on, at what date that add on was done is hard to say, these fur collars were freely available in English surplus stores during the late 1970 and early 1980's the fur collar is RAF and the coat is Army.

http://www.lrdg.org/LRDG-Photo-gallery(historical).htm

The black inked arrow and inspectors marks can be anywhere on the material surrounding the fur, try looking all around it and maybe especially closer to the top near the collar on either side, it could be very very faint after all these years.

Cheers Lewis

This may be a variation on the "Torpal" cold weather coat. The one I have (packed away somewhere) is close to Carhartt light brown in color with a sheepsking lining and a blanket wool collar facing -- and "fireman's buckles" closure.

Though a British-origin item IIRC I have seen photos of U.S. troops wearing them -- either the 3rd Inf Regt in Nova Scotia/Newfoundland or Army (5th Div) troops in Iceland....maybe both.

General, you have certainly nailed it. Thank you very much.

I haven't located any seen black marks anywhere inside aside from some very small ones I'd attribute to stains, but who knows? They easily could have faded over the years. Looking further at the LRDG photos, the 4th row down shows a man atop a truck with what appears, from the back, to be a similar coat.

Whoever added the fur collar did a nice job of it--the buttons appear to be a smaller versions of the front closuses and it has elastic hold down loops to similar buttons on the blanket collar ends.

Take a look at the link below, it will bring up the home page for the LRDG, sets of thumbnail photo's will appear.

Take a look at the three men stood talking on the third row down, the instructions at the top of the page state

' click on any photo in a row and enlargements of that row will appear' .

When you see the enlargement of the three men, you will note that the chap on the left has your coat on and the front is open and it's possible to see the sheepskin, also note that the chap on the right has the same coat as yours but with the other method of closure in place of the buttons it has metal buckles, similar to the buckles on American rubber overboots of WWII.

The collar with the blanket lining on is original and part of the coat, the fur mouton collar has nothing to do with this coat and is a post manufacture add on, at what date that add on was done is hard to say, these fur collars were freely available in English surplus stores during the late 1970 and early 1980's the fur collar is RAF and the coat is Army.

http://www.lrdg.org/LRDG-Photo-gallery(historical).htm

The black inked arrow and inspectors marks can be anywhere on the material surrounding the fur, try looking all around it and maybe especially closer to the top near the collar on either side, it could be very very faint after all these years.

Cheers Lewis

General, you have certainly nailed it. Thank you very much.

I haven't located any seen black marks anywhere inside aside from some very small ones I'd attribute to stains, but who knows? They easily could have faded over the years. Looking further at the LRDG photos, the 4th row down shows a man atop a truck with what appears, from the back, to be a similar coat.

Whoever added the fur collar did a nice job of it--the buttons appear to be a smaller versions of the front closuses and it has elastic hold down loops to similar buttons on the blanket collar ends.

Any idea what this might be worth? I am downsizing and would like to see it go to a "good home". It's a big coat--probably a US Large or XL.

General Apathy
Any idea what this might be worth? I am downsizing and would like to see it go to a "good home". It's a big coat--probably a US Large or XL.

Hi, not wishing to blight your sale with an over or under pricing quote I have sent you a private email.

Cheers Lewis