Displaying Cigarette Cards

TS Allen

Hello all,

I bought a huge set of a couple of hundred WWI cigarette cards a few weeks ago. They were manufactured post-war by a German company and I bought the whole group for $15, which I considered quite a steal. They are German, but many of them have a US theme. One of my favorites shows a swearing-in in front of a big American flag.

Wanting to mount them, I initially set up my favorites in a small frame that was glass on both sides and kept pressure on the contents with plastic edgings. This worked well for a small frame, and I set up all of the "portraits" this way.

The problem is, I have hundreds of these, and I need to use larger frames to display them reasonably. When I try to use the larger double-sided glass pressure frames, the cigarette cards go all over the place. Sticky tack won't work.

I don't care about keeping the reverses showing, but I would like them to be removable if absolutely necessary. The images have both horizontal and vertical orientations, so a matte job won't work. The cards are 6.25 x 4.75 cm, or 2 5/8 by 1 3/4 in.

Any thoughts on how I can successful display these beautiful pieces?

Thanks,

~TS

(FYI: I cross-posted this topic to GMIC)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I ended up using Dollar Tree 8 1/2 x 11 frames with black backing papers. I put the cigarette cards on 4x4, 16 to a case, with holders in the upper left and lower right corners. They turned out really nice.

With the holders on, is it safe to keep them under glass or should I take the glass out and leave them exposed on the frames? I prefer the glass because it keeps people from handling them.

Thanks,

~TS