Span-Am/WWI Era Pins

Brig

got these with some pre-Span-Am Infantry items and a pair of M20 EGAs...assuming about WWI...any ideas? the first one is multi construction, the second is a screw back, third I'm not even sure is military

100_4482.JPG

I can only suggest that the AEF stands for the American Expeditionary Force, but other than that I have no idea. Nor do I know anything about the third pin.

The A.O.U.W. pin comes from the Ancient Order of United Workmen. I found information regarding this Benefit society at the PhoenixMasonry website:

http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masonicmuseu...nalism/aouw.htm

It is military? I do not know, but the anchor suggests that the subject might have worked in the maritime industry.

Kevin

Brig,

I wonder if the AEF piece was a souvenir piece given to returning soldiers -- the two chevrons indicating 1 year overseas service (if I remember the meaning of them correctly). I have a lapel button (posted somewhere else on this Vets Org subject forum, under the title "Veterans Jewelry" a few threads down from this one) that shows two of those chevrons surmounted by the 32d Division insignia. It is marked on the back as having been given out by a bank in Milwaukee.

Pete

BigJohn#3RD
interesting prospect

There were several version of the pins. The more common one is a round version.

Here is one on an overseas cap that belonged to a SGT in the 42 Division.

There is another one the belonged to a Lt from the 127th Inf Reg 32 Division also is the 32 Vets pin. The Lt was only over seas for between 6 to 11 months he is only wearing one overseas chevron the two chevrons on the 32 Vet pin symbolizes its nick name the brake through division.

Enjoy

John

post-5224-1269746193.jpg

post-5224-1269746226.jpg

post-5224-1269746529.jpg

post-5224-1269746542.jpg

John,

Those are very nice pieces, thanks for showing them. Thanks for the info on the 32d Division vets lapel button. I thought that the crossbar on the arrow of the insignia symbolized the break-through of the Division nickname. But, as you said, there surely were plenty of men assigned to the division who had less than two years of overseas service.

Pete

BigJohn#3RD
John,

Those are very nice pieces, thanks for showing them. Thanks for the info on the 32d Division vets lapel button. I thought that the crossbar on the arrow of the insignia symbolized the break-through of the Division nickname. But, as you said, there surely were plenty of men assigned to the division who had less than two years of overseas service.

Pete

Pete et al,

I may be wrong. I am still in the learning process. I just noted that the Veteran who's group this is part of had only one Overseas Chevron in his portrait and that he had the round AEF Chevron Pin with the one chevron. A lot has been lost over the years concerning WWI Vet items so I am open to comments from others who have more knowledge in the real of WWI militaria.

Regards

John