WWI Balloon Co grouping

blademan

I feel honored to be the keeper of this WWI 3rd Balloon Co grouping I picked up from the family a couple weeks ago. His name was Richard A. Thomas. The family thinks they may have his uniform and a few other items.

A 3rd Balloon year book just sold on Ebay that had him listed and his picture.... It went for much more than I could afford. If anyone knows anything about this Company or this soldier, would appreciate any information. A picture of him would also be very much appreciated. Can any one tell me what the 185 means?

post-215-1183731242.jpg

post-215-1183731454.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I will post some pics of the content when I have a chance. I will list them here though: a denim bag with name, simular white bag with draw strings, interesting leather pouch with unknown use, very crudely made theater made M17 helmet, gas mask in bag with owners initials and other writing that can't be made out, 1905 bayonet that is 1907 dated with 1910 scabbard, Bread bad dated around 1906, footlocker, and several pictures of the WWI soldier's son in formation at a local military base in the early 1960's and his Korean war posted.

I hope to get the WWI soldier's burial flag, uniform, and possibly his Springfield 03 rifle if they can find it all. Will post pictures when time permits.

Thanks,

Blademan

River Patrol

Nice Find! WoW!!

Well, here he is....1 of the 114 or so enlisted men of the 3rd Balloon CO (1 of 26 Companies to go Overseas for the AEF). That's the best I can do......but he is listed in the roster.

Cheers,

Steve

balloon_3rdco.jpg

Thanks for your reply and pictures. It just happens I met with the family of the vet the other day and they were kind enough to allow me the privalage of adding these items to my grouping for this Balloon vet. Items include his casket flag, all documents from service history, field passes, ration cards, you name it, he kept it. Also includes a great photo album and two Balloon history/roster/photo albums, all insignia for his air service uniform (no uniform), and a bunch other stuff. I am very pleased with the grouping. Now starts the research

post-215-1184388861.jpg

I forgot to mention along with the grouping are items fom the vet's Koreas era Vet son and pieces of a balloon and a bunch of French post cards.

Blademan,

If you get a chance, I would like to see close ups of the uniform insignias.

Thanks!

Chris

Thanks for your reply and pictures. It just happens I met with the family of the vet the other day and they were kind enough to allow me the privalage of adding these items to my grouping for this Balloon vet. Items include his casket flag, all documents from service history, field passes, ration cards, you name it, he kept it. Also includes a great photo album and two Balloon history/roster/photo albums, all insignia for his air service uniform (no uniform), and a bunch other stuff. I am very pleased with the grouping. Now starts the research

Outstanding grouping! I love those Balloon Co. groupings and they are very, very rare indeed! I have two but neither is as complete as yours.

Gary

Here is a very brief summary of his service history I have compiled so far:

10/08/1917 Enlisted as private at Columbus Barracks,Omaha Nebraska

11/26/1917 orders received to go overseas

11/27/1917 at 3pm left Omaha on way to Europe

12/31/1917 made it to Chalons-sur-Marne, France

07/24/1918 Sacyenas Sector offensive

07/28/1918 left Etalans by rail and truck to relieve 1st Balloon CO at Brouville in

Baccarat Sector

08/29/1918 Sayena Sector defensive

09/12/1918 St. Mihiel Offensive

09/21/1918 left from Maizerais by train to Ferne de Choisel in Verdun Sector

09/26/1918 Argonne Offensive, Meuse

10/18/1918 Moved to Montfaucon, France

10/24/1918 relieved by the 42nd Balloon Co

11/10/1918 Last day of combat for the Balloon Co.

11/11-11/25/1918 observed Germans evacuate France

11/25/1918 moved to Ville-sur-Cousances, France

12/06/1918 Left Ville-sur-Cousances and reached Machlum, Luxemburg

12/19/1918 Crossed the Rhine river and arrived in Niederberg, Germany

03/17/1919 Balloon maneuvers in Ruscheid, Germany

03/16/1919 Company passed in review for General Pershing, Commander in Chief

06/07/1919 Arrived back in US from Europe

06/30/1919 Reenlisted for one year in Air Service, 2nd Balloon Co at Camp Lee, Va

10/01/1919 promoted to Corporal at Ross field in Arcadia CA

11/01/1919 promoted to Sergeant at Ross field in Arcadia CA

06/29/1920 honorably discharged from military

Hello.

Very nice. "to fight" in my area.

09/12/1918 St. Mihiel Offensive

09/21/1918 left from Maizerais

cordialement

solcarlus

Balloon Corps uniform I recently got from a fellow board member. Thanks John!

post-594-1185047156.jpg

According to Emerson, the rank is for Chauffer First Class. Chauffer's in the AEF were anyone not in the Motor Transport Corps, who's primary duty included operating a vehicle. The Balloon Corps utilized a lot of winch trucks, hydrogen trucks, and Anti Aircraft Trucks. In this case the Chauffer has had his chevron custom modified to show his Balloon Corps affiliation. The color is as in the main picture and the First Army Balloon patch. In the other, Paint Shop decided to change the color...

Chris

Cwnorma,

What a great uniform and the patches are killer. Sure which I had a uniform with the grouping I got. Apprarently a family member may have snagged it. Thanks again for showing the set. Still in awe of the patches.

blademan,

Thanks! I have been searching for a balloon corps group for many, many years. I'm supposed to have a line on another, but I doubt the seller will ever part with it. But, he says I get it if he does... (hope springs eternal)

Still, I was so tickled to get this one, I wanted to share! I have his ID number and the first letter of his last name, so it is partially ID'd There were only a few balloon companies in the First Army so it shouldn't be impossible to figure out who he was.

Chris

cwnorma/Chris,

I believe all the balloon Co. guys are listed in the book I got with my grouping. See the black book with balloon wings in my picture above. If you PM (I think this forum has PM) me his info, and next time I can get to my stuff, I will see if I can find his name.