Civil War Veteran Corps Badges & Medal

Harrythepicker

Harrythepicker
post-10695-1269029827.jpgGreetings, I recently visited an antique shop and spent more than an hour looking through with no real luck. I began to talk to the owner about things I am interested in. He opens a drawer containing items that he could not identify (all dealers have a "whatzit" drawer like that). The grouping below were in that drawer. At first I didn't know what the medal was either but soon I learned that it is a medal from The Army of the Potomac Society. It is maker marked BBB (Baily Banks & Biddle) and numbered. This medal has its original box with the veterans name on it! It is missing the top pin which is crossed swords. When I go back to that shop maybe it is still there. I believe that the medal was made circa 1880. One of these sold at auction (without box) for $717.00. The other three items were with the medal. The larger 2nd Corps badge has the veterans name and regiment engraved. This one is suspended from a Captains shoulder bar. As you can see it does have some red enamel missing. It is maker marked Braxmar N.Y. This is a very nice gold Corps Badge and quite valuable! The other smaller Corps badge is a screw back and maker marked C. G. Braxmar Co. plus full address. As you can see the badge has the colors of the three divisions and says 2ND CORPS CLUB. I have never seen a corps badge like this one. Does anyone have any information about this type badge or the 2nd Corps Club? The last item is a patriotic pinback shield with enamel stars & stripes. All the items date to the 1880's. I would be grateful for any information you are willing to share. Thanks for looking............HarryC.

Championhilz

Great badges! - That was an amazing find.

Here is an article about the 2nd Corps Club from the National Tribune, May 3, 1883:

2ndCorpsClubII.jpg

Jeffrey Magut

That is an amazing find, from a "whatzit" drawer no less! Capt. Ray was a fine soldier, as the entry from 140th Regimental History attests:

CAPTAIN J. MILTON RAY. Company C.

Captain Ray enlisted as a private at West Alexander, Pa., and at the organization of the Company was made the Fourth Sergeant. Having served with ability and fidelity in all the intermediate grades, he was commissioned as Captain on the 5th of December, 1864. Being sound in mind and limb, and having the patriotic desire to do his full duty he participated in all the marches, skirmishes and battles in which the Regiment was engaged. He was one of the few men in this command who escaped scathless from many perilous situations and seemed to be immune from the prevailing types of sickness which on different occasions had prostrated so many of his comrades. The following letter from his old Commander, Lieutenant-General Miles will suffice to show the estimate in which he was held by his associates as well as by his superior officers:

Headquarters of the Army, Washington, D. C., March 31, 1902.

Dear Captain Ray:

It gives me pleasure to testify to your splendid services as an officer of that splendid Regiment, the One Hundred and Fortieth Pennsylvania Volunteers. I remember you very well and that you did not seem satisfied to take your dangers as they naturally came to you, but you were always seeking out opportunities for the most hazardous chances. It was a marvel that you escaped with your life. Your record as a soldier is an especially good one, and you can well be proud of it as are your comrades who knew your qualities in this respect.

Wishing you long life and the fullest measure of success in whatever endeavor you may be engaged, I remain, Yours very sincerely,

NELSON A. MILES,

Lieutenant-General.

The record of Captain Ray's promotions, appointments and services has been briefly summed up as follows:

Private August 22, 1862

Sergeant September 4, 1862

First Sergeant September 23, 1863

Second Lieutenant (by order of War Dept.)..July 19, 1863

First Lieutenant and Adjutant January 16, 1864

Captain December 5, 1864

Honorably mustered out May 31, 1865

Elected to Military Order, Loyal Legion United States,

May 6, 1896 Commander Duquesne Post, No. 259, Dept. of Pa.,

G. A. R 1896

Colonel, Encampment No. I, Union Vet. Legion, Pittsburg, Pa 1891

Secretary, Genl. Com. Society Army of the Potomac

Reunion 1899

Vice-President and Corps Representative at same Reunion 1899

Harrythepicker

I had assumed that the stars and stripes shield pinback was only a patriotic item but Mr. Ray was promoted to First Lt. and Adjutant on Jan. 16, 1864. The small shield only measures 9/16 inch tall but is similar to the WWII Gustave Fox Adjutant badge. ?????...........Thanks, Harry C

post-10695-1269116173.jpg

tarheelyankee

Fantastic finds!! I just love to see any and all Civil War ID'd Corps badges. Good to know that there are still great Civil War fids out there. Continued good hunting. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Tarheelyankee