WPG U.S. Overlord Airborne Package

Southpaw156

Southpaw156

On What Price Glory there is a package deal that focuses on the US airborne paratroopers gear on D-Day. This is what it includes:

ALL REPRODUCTION

M42 Jacket (Reinforced) (102015)

M42 trousers w/canvas reinforcements and leg ties (102029)

Web waist belt (100621)

Overseas Cap (100093)

Parachute Cap Badge (100753)

Cloth Arm Flag (100745)

Cartridge belt (100755)

M36 suspenders (100771)

Musette bag (100769)

Canteen w/cup (103585)

Canteen cover, Mounted (reinforced) (103137)

1st Aid pouch (100796)

M1938 Riding Gloves (102194)

Helmet Net 100290

Scrim (100811)

Total Price = $398.00

All you guys experienced and wise in the world of re-enacting, any advice or opinions, is this a good deal? Thanks

Sean

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

That's a pretty good deal. The only thing missing is a helmet but most cheap repro's are a not the best and many reenactors replace them with higher quality front seam ones.

Rock

That sounds like a decent deal to me! I can't speak to the quality of their uniforms, but a lot of their spaller items are good repops. I have their riding gloves, cricket, and M2 Knife. The gloves I got from them were good quality.

Let us see pictures when you get your impression together and we'll help you tweak it.

Wayne

I did airborne in the 90s and spent a good bit more on less.

And I know from experience that Jerry is a great person to

do business with. :thumbsup:

That is a great deal as a starter kit... but later down the road I would buy the top of the line items from WWII Impressions. Plus they are made in the U.S. and don't get shipped from the U.A.E.

However... if you want to end up saving money in the long run, make your first purchases your last. Buy the high end stuff so that you won't be needing to replace in a year's time.

However... if you want to end up saving money in the long run, make your first purchases your last. Buy the high end stuff so that you won't be needing to replace in a year's time.
Yeah. What he said. I always tell people getting into ANY hobby to get the right stuff first. Nothing’s worse than having to go back and re-buy everything the second time and being stuck with your first stuff that nobody else wants (including you).

I’m torn on this point, because there was next to nothing US repro when I got into the hobby, other than some jump suits, jump boots and M-41 jackets. Everything else was original. So when I started, I pretty much had all original stuff and only needed to replace it once I wore things out or outgrew them. But on the flipside, people new to the hobby have no earthly idea how much easier it is today, to just pick up the phone and have everything show up in one box, all ready to wear. I do envy you new guys in that regard!

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I've purchased reenacting gear from WPG and ATF. I got most of my insignia from WPG, ATF and WWII Impressions.

WPG is good, and for that price it's great. I went with ATF because their uniforms are mostly excellent, their gear is damned near like originals and the price is great. I like WPG for the many items that you can't get. I've gone through WPG on the way to battles and spent as much as $600+ bucks for myself and the guys. WPG makes some stuff that wasn't made by anybody else. Be prepared to have some tailoring if you buy wool pants or shirts. They're made so that a human can fit in them as opposed to a skinny 1940's soldier. I was lucky to purchase three large original wool shirts. I sold my WPG one to a new guy, which is something you can do as you upgrade. I used the original gear for displays and parades but repro beater gear for battles. Used the original wool shirts once but didn't want them to degrade so now I wear khaki shirts.

Rock

BigJohn#3RD
I've purchased reenacting gear from WPG and ATF. I got most of my insignia from WPG, ATF and WWII Impressions.

WPG is good, and for that price it's great. I went with ATF because their uniforms are mostly excellent, their gear is damned near like originals and the price is great. I like WPG for the many items that you can't get. I've gone through WPG on the way to battles and spent as much as $600+ bucks for myself and the guys. WPG makes some stuff that wasn't made by anybody else. Be prepared to have some tailoring if you buy wool pants or shirts. They're made so that a human can fit in them as opposed to a skinny 1940's soldier. I was lucky to purchase three large original wool shirts. I sold my WPG one to a new guy, which is something you can do as you upgrade. I used the original gear for displays and parades but repro beater gear for battles. Used the original wool shirts once but didn't want them to degrade so now I wear khaki shirts.

Rock

DITO on the Small and hard to find items from WPG but when it comes to uniforms and web equipment ATF is (IMHO) the best.

Regards

John

WPG is defintiely the best place to get some of the hard to find little items, but my experiences with their webgear was less than favorable.

I've got jump suits from all three major suppliers and my feelings are that WPG's are on par as far as quality with any of the others.

If I were going to do it all over, I would go with ATF's package. Their quality is good and prices fair.

As far as the helmet goes, I'd go with one of the helmet restoration outfits like JMurray. They ain't cheap, but in the long run, you'll be better off.

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry is a stand up guy who puts a lot of effort into helping young re-enactors get a start in the hobby.

His prices are perfect for the introduction into the bottomless pit that can take over if one gets deeper into the hobby.

owen