Vietnam Navy Group

Brig

This was waiting on me at home, picked it up on liberty...includes:

-2 tie tacs

-Vietnam medal

-Ribbon bars

-Rank insignia

I'm not a Navy guy, does anyone know what the silver Petty Officer insignia is for?

Vietnam_Group_Front.JPG

rears. medal is oxidized, but would probably clean up. the ribbons were mounted on a piece of clear plastic. the bottom bar's pins are broken, so he probably did it so he could wear them without replacing them, maybe at vet functions? rear of rank insignia marked '22S'. any ideas?

Vietnam_Group_Rear.JPG

tie tac of a sea serpent, maybe just something he had. was wondering if any of you Navy guys know if maybe it was a unit symbol or mascot?

Tie_Tacs.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
tie tac of a sea serpent, maybe just something he had. was wondering if any of you Navy guys know if maybe it was a unit symbol or mascot?

It looks, to me, like one of the dolphins (half of) off of a submariner's badge.

Petty officer rank badge is for a Petty Officer 2nd Class. Equal to Sergeant (Army & Marine Corp), Staff Sergeant (Air Force). Worn on the collar of the tan (khaki) shirts. A lot of guys in the submarine service also wore them on the collar of their "poopie suits", the one piece coveralls worn at sea.

Laury Allison
Petty officer rank badge is for a Petty Officer 2nd Class. Equal to Sergeant (Army & Marine Corp), Staff Sergeant (Air Force). Worn on the collar of the tan (khaki) shirts. A lot of guys in the submarine service also wore them on the collar of their "poopie suits", the one piece coveralls worn at sea.

Those are actually Petty Officer 1st Class (3 chevrons)...paygrade E-6. The large silver one is worn on the cover. The small one looks to be a tie tac. There is another size in between these that are worn on the collar as well as subdued versions for the BDUs. ;)

Laury

Yep, right about the 1st Class. I counted the slots not the bars. I'll have to pay more attention to the photos. Thanks for the correction. Dave