Gaunt jump wing

This wing looks wrong to me for several reasons, starting with the "sterling silver" mark (should this even be there ?) which looks to have been crudely stamped. I'm not an expert, so I'd like to see what others think.

Thanks, Max

post-3426-1268699235.jpg

post-3426-1268699255.jpg

Yes this wing has all of the problems you see on the fakes coming out of the UK being sold on ebay. Look at the brit wings thread below to see what a good one looks like.

Thanks for the reply Gary, I've seen a few of these. I didn't know they were coming from the UK, I would have thought elsewhere.

Max

BigJohn#3RD
Yes this wing has all of the problems you see on the fakes coming out of the UK being sold on ebay. Look at the brit wings thread below to see what a good one looks like.

Can you post the thread again? I cannot find it.

Thanks

John

I think it is fair to say that silver plated brass was the most common method of construction used on British made WW2 wings , both AAF and Airborne. Very occasionally solid silver wings were struck but they were fully Hall marked in the British manor, which usually includes lions, ankers and a letter from which you can accurately date the year of manufacture.[what you guys refer to as a Hall mark would just be a makers mark in the UK]

The repro wing in this thread I have seen at militaria fairs in the UK, The same pattern with every makers name [british and Australian] you can think of.

They seem to be made of some kind of solid white metal probably nickel. I have no idea if they are made in the UK but it would not surprise me.

Graham.

You can still order WWII Wings and Badges from Firmin and Gaunt (now owned by Firmin) but not for export. They will do it for their steady customers but not if you write or call from the USA.

Is this repro a cast wing ? I see irregularities in the shroud lines, I assume these wouldn't occur in a stamped wing ?