Help with WWII Navy term???

siege1863

I have a list of crew members of a PBY patrol craft that operated in the Pacific. Listed second, after the pilot (a lt.), is a man whose name is followed by the notation "CAP." What is the meaning? There are only two men in the entire squadron identified as such.

Thanks.

Civil Air Patrol

I do not see how this term is associated with the rank of an officer or crewman, particularly a crew flying in combat.

Just a guess, but maybe CHIEF AVIATION PILOT....

Bagman

Bagman---

I believe you are correct! Thanks for the suggestion!

• 5 weeks later...

Seems to me I associate that term with an aircraft carrier, but I don't recall why.

This is as I remember it from my flight deck duty on the USS Ranger, 1959-1963:

The term, as associated with Naval Aviation, means "Carrier Air Protection". These are the aircraft sitting on the catapults ready to launch when the ship is not at Flight Quarters. Regards,

CAP has also been used by the Navy to mean "Combat Air Patrol". This was for fighters flying patrols to protect the fleet from enemy air attack. I do not know the time period in which this was or maybe still has been used.

"Combat Air Protection" and "Carrier Air Protection" are things. CAP by a man's name would indicate his rank/rate and, in this case, "Chief Aviation Pilot" would be correct - especially since any number of enlisted pilots flew transport and patrol craft.

FWIW, the overall classification of enlisted pilots was "NAP" for "Naval Aviation Pilot". Officer pilots were designated "Naval Aviators". If you come across any paperwork that states the bearer is a NAP, you have a rare item.

Tom