Ronald Reagan in 40s. Which uniform is this???????

lounge60

This is Ronald Reagan in US Army uniform

But which uniform?

Look the coat: is a four buttons summer tan uniform,but have the belt ( and the lower pockets) like in the "Green" winter coat.

So what?

27428595.jpg

24724179.jpg

According to AR 600-35, dated 10 Nov 41, he is wearing an officer's service coat. This specifically mentions the belt for Air Force Os, and a half-inch braid of OD on the cuffs. It looks like he has the summer service issue.

He was assigned at some point to the 1st Motion Picture Unit (really) AAF, which made training films for the military. Based in Hollywood, CA.

Jamecharles

Is not so strange... alot of officers do this kind of ''modify'' to their own service uniforms and the answer is pretty seample:

it's a tailored summer class A , the tailorer (on request of the officer) decided to apply the waist belt as usually was applied on the wool class A for officer.

the braid on the cuff was always applied on any kind of service dress for all officers (EXCEPT FOR RARE CASES ... for example i've 2 ike jacket for officer that didn't have the braids on the cuffs) the color of the braids may be different from tailorer by tailorer

Giancarlo

Thanks for the answer Giancarlo,so is a "fuori ordinanza" uniform.

P.S.

What wonderful uniform have in your profile.

Is original?

The coat is chocolate brown or olive drab?

In all my pick ups at the rag houses I actually did pick up one of these. I will see if I can find it in the many duffle bags of stuff I have. It had regular braid though, not o.d. color, but tan color. He was also an AAF guy.

According to AR 600-35, dated 10 Nov 41, he is wearing an officer's service coat. This specifically mentions the belt for Air Force Os, and a half-inch braid of OD on the cuffs. It looks like he has the summer service issue.

But does it mention OD colored braid for the summer service uniform? This is the first khaki jacket I've seen with green cuff braid. All the others have complementary colored braid to the rest of the uniform.

Dave

...."For officers a band of olive drab braid 1/2 inch in width on each sleeve, the lower edge 3 inches from end of sleeve"....

Changes made to AR 600-35, dated 4 Sept 42, did not address any change to this earlier reg, so absent a change, there was no change and it remained.

...."For officers a band of olive drab braid 1/2 inch in width on each sleeve, the lower edge 3 inches from end of sleeve"....

Changes made to AR 600-35, dated 4 Sept 42, did not address any change to this earlier reg, so absent a change, there was no change and it remained.

Thanks for the reference! Someone probably realized the flub-up and noted how horrid it looked and changed the regulation shortly thereafter...I've had 1944 dated jackets with matching stripes...so it would date this photo sometime late '42 through '43...

Dave

A tropical worsted tan uniform for optional wear by commissioned and warrant officers was authorized in April 1942 (Emerson's Encyclopedia p. 510. Link here).

This uniform was announced by WD Circular 108, April 12, 1942, and it subsequently was covered by paragraph 9-b, AR 600-35 (ed. March 31, 1944). The coat was without belt and had matching khaki sleeve braid for commissioned officers, no braid for warrant officers, and forest green braid for commissioned and warrant officers with WWI service.

Ronald Reagan was promoted to Captain July 22, 1943 (link here). Perhaps the anomalies in his uniform can be attributed to the fog of war?

As I tend to lean on to Camouflage uniforms I wasa thinking what type of camouflage the man in the middle was wearing .

We know there were 8 patterns on test and this one stumps me .

Is it a hand cammoed version ?

It kinda looks like it ......

owen

Perhaps the anomalies in his uniform can be attributed to the fog of war?

No i think at his taste.

Is a tailored uniform make for sure by a good tailor in Los Angeles (maybe a studios tailor).

What catches my eye about the uniform is the branch insignia he is wearing under the "US" insignia. Don't think they are infantry crossed rifles. Maybe crossed quills. Anyone have a better idea what the branch insignia are?

What catches my eye about the uniform is the branch insignia he is wearing under the "US" insignia. Don't think they are infantry crossed rifles. Maybe crossed quills. Anyone have a better idea what the branch insignia are?

If you look closely, particularly at the left insignia (his right) they appear to be AAF aviation branch.

• 6 months later...
...Ronny was actually horse cavalry...

Ronald Reagan served in the Cavalry as an enlisted man and as an officer before he was transferred to the Air Corps in June 1942.

post-1963-1285347609.jpg

2nd Lt. Ronald Reagan, at Ft. Mason, Calif., ca. May 1942.

I too want to know the type of camo uniform that guy is wearing....

FWIW, Shelby Stanton in his book on WWII uniforms felt that it was some done-up Hollywood "prop" for a bond rally, etc.

Tom

dogfacedsoldier

It was for a showing of This is the Army. I've seen the original caption for the photo, and it said the soldier in cammo was brought in for the screening, it might say more, I would have to try to find it. The woman is his wife at the time Jane Wyatt. I just can't remember where I saw the photo.

Jon

It was for a showing of This is the Army. I've seen the original caption for the photo, and it said the soldier in cammo was brought in for the screening, it might say more, I would have to try to find it. The woman is his wife at the time Jane Wyatt. I just can't remember where I saw the photo.

Jon

Shelby Stanton, US Army Uniforms of World War II, p. 108. The caption reads:

A camouflaged herringbone twill suit, apparently painted in ad hoc fashion, being displayed for publicity purposes at the Los Angeles opening of the 1943 movie hit
This Is the Army
. The soldier is flanked by young actor Capt. Ronald Reagan and wife, actress Jane Wyman.

best regards,

Justin B.