Civil War Union Lieutenant Frock Coat

tarheelyankee

Hello. Here is a photo of a Civil War Union officer's frock in my collection. Has some moth issues but a nice coat overall. Especially like the pocket with button added to the left breast. The straps are for 1st Lt. and the blue background has faded some over time. The bullion border has come unwraped somewhat. Buttons are Waterbury Infantry "I" . Ballooned sleeves and velvet collar lining. Sleeve are white muslin (?) not the pillow ticked that you sometimes see.

Been in the collection for sometime now but thought I would post because I just do not see any Civil War cloth items out there like I did back in the 60's and 70's. Cheers :thumbsup: Tarheelyankee

OOPS. NOT A 2nd LT. BUT A 1ST LT. SORRY.

post-6897-1268582001.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hello. Here is a photo of a Civil War Union officer's frock in my collection. Has some moth issues but a nice coat overall. Especially like the pocket with button added to the left breast. The straps are for 1st Lt. and the blue background has faded some over time. The bullion border has come unwraped somewhat. Buttons are Waterbury Infantry "I" . Ballooned sleeves and velvet collar lining. Sleeve are white muslin (?) not the pillow ticked that you sometimes see.

Been in the collection for sometime now but thought I would post because I just do not see any Civil War cloth items out there like I did back in the 60's and 70's. Cheers :thumbsup: Tarheelyankee

OOPS. NOT A 2nd LT. BUT A 1ST LT. SORRY.

Dear tarheelyankee: Was this coat purchased from an elderly couple (surname Curtis) in a private home in Stanley/Gorham, New York around 1999 or 2000? If so, and if you ever plan on offering it for sale, I would very much like the chance to buy it. It belonged to my great-great-great grandfather and was sold by my late granparents on a whim, when they were entirely ignorant of its monetary or historic value. I apologize for posting this here but I didn't know if it was possible (or how) to send you a private message. Warmest regards, Mrs. R. Benz