"Battle of the Bulge"

517th

Just watching The Battle Of The Bulge film on t.v., i had forgotten how crap it was apart from Telly Savalas` performance, he makes a great G.I. ..........517th

Just watching The Battle Of The Bulge film on t.v., i had forgotten how crap it was apart from Telly Savalas` performance, he makes a great G.I. ..........517th

Hi 517th. I agree. Dear ol' Telly cornered the market in grizzled NCOs in 60s war movies! Same basic character in every movie..eg Big Joe in "Kelly's Heroes", though he was slightly more sinister in "The Dirty Dozen".

Sabrejet ;)

I always wondered what was the deal with the blown off turret on Kojak's tank not killing them all.

Even as a child I knew that was preposterous.

Quite possibly the WORST war movie ever made.

Amazing they got the stars they did and still produced this work of *&$!....... :thumbdown:

Robert Shaw's panzer commander impression is abysmal..a stereotypical movie Cherman. Personally, I much prefer war movies where the Germans actually speak in German, with English sub-titles, as in the likes of "The Longest Day" and "A bridge too far". None of this, "For you Tommy ze var iss offer!" nonsense!!

Sabrejet :pinch:

• 9 months later...

Amazing they got the stars they did and still produced this work of *&$!....... :thumbdown:

I liked it Certainly not the best movie made but still entertaining. We should remember war movies are entertainment and not documentaries. I watch a lot of documenteries on The History Channel.

Nothin wrong with this movie when you watch it thru the eyes of a twelve year old in 1965.

I watched it in 1965 at the Plaza Theater. I was 13. I even bought the special edition picture book that was sold in the theater. (I bought it before I saw the movie.)

I thought the Germans were cool. I particularly liked the grizzled old NCO. And the command "trailer:" that was pretty neat. But I also recognized that this was a fantasy movie with no semblance to reality. Was that the Ardenes or the arid Spanish countryside? I remember wondering, Where are the trees? And aren't those German tanks really Pattons or Sheridans? And the scene, rolling the gasoline drums down the road! gimme a break. As a 13 year old I was mesmerized by the action, but acutely aware even then (with only library books and old "Life" magazines as reference points) that this was entirely a work of fantasy...

on my list, it is one of the weakest war movies I've spent money on. even as a kid. GEB

BILL THE PATCH

AS A KID I THOUGHT IT GREAT, but as an adult i still find it ok, maybe because i watched it with my dad all the time. i think just sitting there with my hero was enough for me, that is why i thought it was great. i can still remember my dad say " what horse shi*" i even noticed the palm trees in the distance. to quote my dad " it's still horse shi*"

Garandomatic

I saw it for about the second time when I was around 12, but it was in 1993 or so. Remember looking at the Stuart tank in one sequence, then looking at the 1/35th Tamiya model beside me, and realizing (I'm pretty sure) it the SAME BLOODY THING!

Nothin wrong with this movie when you watch it thru the eyes of a twelve year old in 1965.

True, but the film becomes an Oscar-contender when one doesn't watch it.

• 3 weeks later...

When I saw the movie title in quotes I knew it had to be "the" movie. The only reason I can think of to watch IS the stars.

Battleground (1949) on the other hand..

I would have to agree, that it was made as entertainment. Not as a documentry.

• 2 weeks later...

Gee, I enjoyed it. You have to accept films in the context of when they were made, and remember that these films were entertainment, not learning aids

And Bob Shaw was great in the film as the panzer commander. He could have been in a TV ad for dog food, and I'd think he was great in it

That's how I've learned to look at it, I think the major disappointment people have with the film (aside from prop issues) is that they really do want a documentary and all they can find is a movie.

If you accept it as a movie it's not all that bad.

That's how I've learned to look at it, I think the major disappointment people have with the film (aside from prop issues) is that they really do want a documentary and all they can find is a movie.

If you accept it as a movie it's not all that bad.

People will always be disapointed when they compare older movies with the more modern methods of todays

movie making. Back then people didn't go to movies for a history lesson and we didn't expect one, we just

watched the movie, ate the popcorn and went home.

People will always be disapointed when they compare older movies with the more modern methods of todays

movie making. Back then people didn't go to movies for a history lesson and we didn't expect one, we just

watched the movie, ate the popcorn and went home.

Exactly! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, as well.

Is it an accurate movie, not really.

Is it a fun movie to watch, YES.

Here is an original Chaffee model from the movie, all mental, weighs about 250 lbs.

Cheers, John

post-12439-1298326675.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Love this film .

I got my action man out and played B O T B all day long in my back garden .

Germans singing !

Tanks rolling .

Oil drums stopping the Twisters ........

Great stuff all round .

owen

As a Kid I loved it, even though I picked up certain oddities

When Fonda shoots the truck driver there was no rear sight on his M-1. I knew the bazookas werent G.I. nor the Arty. I expected the tanks to be US as German tanks were scrap by then. Hell I remember making a Lindhberg M47 and painting it battleship grey to make my movie version.

owen

I got my action man out and played B O T B all day long in my back garden .

i think we all did mate ;)

...great old wet saturday afternoon film to fall asleep to...still love it

joe

• 2 weeks later...

Loved it as a kid,circa 1965. Later learned how to tell the American Chaffees from the German M-47's. Remembered most James MacArthur, " ain't that the guy from Hawaii 5-0 ?