Blackinton (V.H. Blackinton) Co of Attleboro, MA: examples and patterns

Greetings-

I just wanted to get your opinions on this AAF Observer wings marked "Sterling by Blackinton". I haven't had much experience dealing with Blackinton wings and wanted to know if you think these wings are good or a nice repro. If they are real, what is a ballpark purchasing price? Thanks for your help.

-Frank

post-2023-1203743540.jpg post-2023-1203744147.jpg

post-2023-1203743549.jpg post-2023-1203742680.jpg

• 2 years later...
flyingfortress

I recently acquired a Blackinton sterling 3" pilot wing, my very first wing by this maker. I love the feather detail and believe it rivals Luxenberg as far as beauty is concerned, although many consider Luxenberg the best U.S. maker of wings. I'm thrilled to have it in my collection and thought I'd share it with you. If any

of you have Blackinton wings in your collection I'd love to see a picture or two. Thanks!

Best regards, George

post-6250-1268491476.jpg

I recently acquired a Blackinton sterling 3" pilot wing, my very first wing by this maker. I love the feather detail and believe it rivals Luxenberg as far as beauty is concerned, although many consider Luxenberg the best U.S. maker of wings. I'm thrilled to have it in my collection and thought I'd share it with you. If any

of you have Blackinton wings in your collection I'd love to see a picture or two. Thanks!

Best regards, George

George

Luxenberg did not manufacture any wings. They contracted too have them made. Your Blackinton and a Luxenberg are one and the same with the only difference in the hallmark.

Joe

John Cooper

Best regards, George

george - great wing THNAKS for posting!

Here is an Aircrew wing for you as requested - enjoy

post-227-1268705727.jpg

post-227-1268705741.jpg

George ~ Please allow me to state the obvious....WOW!!!!

It's no wonder that examples such as yours pulls the "big bucks".

Fantastic looking!

The Green Eyed Monster

• 5 months later...

Beginning in 1918, V. H. Blackinton Company (VHB) produced 1913 style Military Aviator (MA) badges in both GOLD and in STERLING. The badges were die struck; however, I’ve never been able to determine why any were made in sterling. Regulations only allowed a MA to wear a gold 1913 style MA badge on his uniform and the regulations did not change until 15 August 1917 when new wing badges became available.

During my lifetime I've seen only three 1913 style MA badges made by VHB in STERLING, and had just two chances to acquire one. The first chance was back in 1978 and I let it slip pass. The second opportunity was a couple of months ago so with the odds stacked against ever getting a third chance I bellied up to the bar and ponied up.

I am new at doing close-up photography so the images below are certainly not the best but if you look close the fine details on the eagle's feathers can still be seen. Also note that this badge does not have a hallmark on the back because VHB did not start using them on their military badges until the 1930s.

Cliff

post-4542-1283046746.jpg

Gorgeous badge Cliff, thanks for posting. Hopefully someone can shed some light as to why these badges were made in sterling.

Gorgeous badge Cliff, thanks for posting. Hopefully someone can shed some light as to why these badges were made in sterling.

I have always thought that the badges were die struck in sterling so that they could be gold plated. Gold plate sticks to silver very nicely and the cost of having a gold plated badge would be much less than the expense of creating a solid gold badge.

These badges also ended up on salesman sample boards and sterling was cheap back then, so it could have simply been intended to go on a sample board.

Allan

I have always thought that the badges were die struck in sterling so that they could be gold plated. Gold plate sticks to silver very nicely and the cost of having a gold plated badge would be much less than the expense of creating a solid gold badge.

These badges also ended up on salesman sample boards and sterling was cheap back then, so it could have simply been intended to go on a sample board.

Allan

V. H. Blackinton offered both the gold and silver badges in their catalog. I also should have mentioned that when Duncan Campbell first visited VHB they had both the gold and silver badges displayed on an old sample board and he bought them both. He eventually gave the silver badge to an old friend who in turn sold it to a dealer later, and that was the very badge I saw offered for sell back in 1978. I remember the date well because I've kicked myself numerous times since them for not buying it. :lol:

Bob, you are a good friend and I appreciate it.

Those silver badges could be purchased off base and the only fellows you and I currently know about that actually owned one were enlisted personnel with some connection to aviation, such as an airplane mechanic, but those young men could have gotten into a bit of trouble if ever caught wearing one on their uniform.

I'm only guessing :rolleyes: but it seems apparent they bought the badges only to impress the folks back home as they stepped off the train, or to impress the ladies in town while on leave.

• 4 months later...

Here is a new beautiful example of a highly details wing that I just had to have for Christmas.

The wing came from the estate of Walter Champion who passed away recently in Omaha Neb. I do not have any details other than this but have not been able to find any contact info for any family members to ask if they had any info.

I will let the photos speak for themselves and only say this unmarked example (IIRC Bob has one on his site) has different fittings which are typically found on earlier badges. Any additional infomarion you may have feel free to add.

Thanks

John

post-227-1293658135.jpg

post-227-1293658123.jpg

A very nice wing, John. It would be interesting to learn of the pilot's service and travel routes. I'm curious to know where he might have purchased a Blackinton wing..his movements might provide clues. Seems to me that with their very limited distribution, they must have been sold in a fairly narrow area.

PS

Thanks for the comment John.

Paul - I hope some others might be able to add some additional infomation on these wings. I think the wing may have belonged to Walther family vs. him but I am not sure. Walter was 79 when he died so I am thinking maybe his father or uncle... just a guess.

As for the wing itself even the detail shot I posted des not do the wing justice.

John

A set like this was just up on eBay earlier this week. An early set of Blackinton wings. Very nice. My favorite pattern of the war by my favorite maker.

A set like this was just up on eBay earlier this week. An early set of Blackinton wings. Very nice. My favorite pattern of the war by my favorite maker.

I have the same pair, but it has a different hardware set up. Also a gilt version that was likely used as an instructor wing. They are posted on my webpage. The gilt one has the same hardware as your wing.

http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/pilotwings_file...sition=download

http://pfrost.bol.ucla.edu/Instructorwings...sition=download

Nice wings.

Patrick - any history on either of your linked wings? Additionally would you happen to have a period photo of this wing on a uniform?

Bob - Congrats again! I can see why this is your favorite maker. The detailing is fantastic.

John

• 4 months later...
armillary_journey

Does anyone have some Blackinton 2" wings to share?

Did Blackinton make any 2" Service, Liason, or Glider wings?

I recently bought a Blackinton S, I wil post it in a day or

two when I get back home.

Thanks for any info on this thread.