British made Jump and Aircrew wings.

Hi all,

This lot came to me this morning from the same source, a Gaunt made Jump wing, an unmarked but British made Aircrew wing (I think it's a Firmin??) and an English made stubby wing 8th Airforce patch.

What do you reckon guys, are they :thumbsup: or :thumbdown:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

post-554-1268489978.jpg

I'm not good with British made Jump wings or Aircrew wings. But I love the English made stubby wing 8th Airforce patch! ;) Hopefully one of the guys here with knowledge on British made wings can help you.

British made wings are a mine feild. But I'll have ago.

The A/C wing looks like plated brass so I would say this is a good one.

The para wing, Have a good look through a loop, If its plated brass with a little ware it could well be good.

The patch, Although a Brit style stubby wing, looks like a US fully embroiderd. Not sure if they were ever made that way this side of the pond.

Graham.

Hi guys,

Yep the Aircrew wing is definitely plated brass and the jump wing is as well I believe (there is a slight brassy hue under the silver).

I know it's the wrong section (my apologies) but here is an obv/rev view of the patch.

Cheers

Dave

post-554-1268569722.jpg

The odds are they are not sterling if not marked. The British laws on hallmarks and metal content are even stronger than US laws. Most real WWII British wings were brass with a heavy silver plate. Would have to see pictures of the backs of the wing and badge. Also on the aircrew double check if he center shield is soldered on from a button top. Another common British way of making these.

The odds are they are not sterling if not marked. The British laws on hallmarks and metal content are even stronger than US laws. Most real WWII British wings were brass with a heavy silver plate. Would have to see pictures of the backs of the wing and badge. Also on the aircrew double check if he center shield is soldered on from a button top. Another common British way of making these.

Yep the Aircrew wings definitely have a seperately attached shield device (see pic below).

There are a couple of photos of the badge backs above mate.

post-554-1268575438.jpg

Yep the Aircrew wings definitely have a seperately attached shield device (see pic below).

There are a couple of photos of the badge backs above mate.

post-554-1268575438.jpg

How about a picture of the back of the wing and badge. The side view looks very good.

Hi David,

Both wings look OK to me. There are no obvious problems with either of them. The Aircrew wing looks absolutely right as rain and definately is a Firmin pattern. The Gaunt Para wings are heavily faked but this one does not have the telltales I look for on those. The stubby SSI is a corker as well!

Cheers

Gary

Hi David,

Both wings look OK to me. There are no obvious problems with either of them. The Aircrew wing looks absolutely right as rain and definately is a Firmin pattern. The Gaunt Para wings are heavily faked but this one does not have the telltales I look for on those. The stubby SSI is a corker as well!

Cheers

Gary

That's good to know, thanks Gary mate :thumbsup:

I'm really pleased that they are all ok, I had a good feeling they might be but just wanted to check in case.

Cheers

Dave

That's good to know, thanks Gary mate :thumbsup:

I'm really pleased that they are all ok, I had a good feeling they might be but just wanted to check in case.

Cheers

Dave

Strange, as mentioned above posts #3 and #6 show the backs of them both.

I'll post them again here :)

post-554-1268757718.jpg

Just realised in post #20 I quoted myself instead of George :blush:

Anyway, hope you can see the reverse of the badges now?