Graduation Wings? Basic Ed Needed

Navybob

I realize that this is a bit basic for most of you, but would you mind giving me a little schooling?

The term “graduation” wings has me a bit baffled.

In what way does a pair of graduation wings differentiate from a regular wing?

How would you recognize one from a basic unmarked (except sterling) wing?

Thanks for enduring another silly question.

Graduation wings are those with no makers hallmark, as this was the type given out by the Air Force. Wings purchased by the government couldn't have a makers hallmark. These would also be sold on base. The hallmarked wings are private purchase. Not all non-hallmarked wings where actually given out at graduation, but that's the idea.

Hope this helps

Paul

I realize that this is a bit basic for most of you, but would you mind giving me a little schooling?

The term “graduation” wings has me a bit baffled.

In what way does a pair of graduation wings differentiate from a regular wing?

How would you recognize one from a basic unmarked (except sterling) wing?

Thanks for enduring another silly question.

If you notice a lot of WWII wings have hallmarks from various companies. The US Government when they purchased wings to issue to pilots did not have any hallmark except a metal content when they were sterling or 1/10GF, etc. The government did not want to show favoritism to any one manufacturer so they required no distinctive hallmarks. Since many of these were handed out upon graduation the term “graduation wings” became a term for any wings with no manufacture hallmark. The ones with hallmarks were sold in stores and on base via the Army and Navy Exchange service. This vanished when the Quartermaster General of the US Army around 1953 started to use an ID numbering system of one number and a letter of the manufacturers name. For example, Meyer became 9M and Dondero became D2. In 1964 the Army began the two-letter code system in use today. So Meyer became 22M and Dondero D21.

Another series of ID’s were used by the USMC Quartermaster for a short time, I wish I knew the start and stop dates, help anyone, and you will see a 3 digit number on the back of a wing or badge.

Today a letter and two digit ID number is assigned by the Institute of Heredity to every certified manufacturer.

Joe

(IOH Number) W-32

If you notice a lot of WWII wings have hallmarks from various companies. The US Government when they purchased wings to issue to pilots did not have any hallmark except a metal content when they were sterling or 1/10GF, etc. The government did not want to show favoritism to any one manufacturer so they required no distinctive hallmarks. Since many of these were handed out upon graduation the term “graduation wings” became a term for any wings with no manufacture hallmark. The ones with hallmarks were sold in stores and on base via the Army and Navy Exchange service. This vanished when the Quartermaster General of the US Army around 1953 started to use an ID numbering system of one number and a letter of the manufacturers name. For example, Meyer became 9M and Dondero became D2. In 1964 the Army began the two-letter code system in use today. So Meyer became 22M and Dondero D21.

Another series of ID’s were used by the USMC Quartermaster for a short time, I wish I knew the start and stop dates, help anyone, and you will see a 3 digit number on the back of a wing or badge.

Today a letter and two digit ID number is assigned by the Institute of Heredity to every certified manufacturer.

Joe

(IOH Number) W-32

Joe, I think you mean the Institute of Heraldry, not the Institute of Heredity? I checked their very informative website, but did not see your IOH number listed as a currently recognized "Certified Manufacturer". With the Institute now requiring all American made insignia produced after 2008 to be marked "Made in U.S.A.", won't you be obligated to mark your wing reproductions as well?

Russ

Joe, I think you mean the Institute of Heraldry, not the Institute of Heredity? I checked their very informative website, but did not see your IOH number listed as a currently recognized "Certified Manufacturer". With the Institute now requiring all American made insignia produced after 2008 to be marked "Made in U.S.A.", won't you be obligated to mark your wing reproductions as well?

Russ

The current list only reflects those currently under contract to the US Government. A lot more are on the internal list of the IOH. I have gotten mixed answers on the Made in the USA form the IOH. I was told this only applies to government contracts. You will see that Vanguard items sold via the exchange service and on their web site, do not have the USA mark on them.

I would think that in this day and time when most things we buy are marked "Made in China" or any number of other far away places, that a USA-based maker of such substantial things as the principal badge worn by an American aviator who has achieved a notable degree of competence in operating a complex military aircraft, would be proud and honored to mark his product, "Made in USA".

Perhaps I'm old fashioned.

Navybob: I really like the graduation wings. They are plentiful, inexpensive, and rarely copied or reproduced, making them, to my mind, the most honest wings of all for a collector. And even better, they were the ones most likely worn by a WWII airman. However, there is a caveat. There seems to have been a lot of cheap versions of unmarked wings sold through post-WWII Army-Navy stores as trinkets. You can usually tell them by their unmistakable cheap appearance and questionable markings, if there are any. I don't recall seeing a perfectly legitimate WWII graduation wing that wasn't well done by its maker.

Thank you everyone for your input.

Paul: I'm inclined to agree with you. One of the nicest navy wings I own is a full size umarked (sterling & 1/20 10k GF) example. It is Unmistakably Balfour. I did not have to pay the Balfour price, but it screams quality, attention to detail and most importantly, holds the history of it's original owner.

And one more thought Paul, thank God the DOD has at this point not authorized (hope they never will) "made in China" on any US military insignia.

Please no one tell me I'm wrong even if I am.

It's ironic that many American flags purchased by the public at the local Home Depot or hardware store are marked "made in China".