M3 Stuart Collection

37thguy

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Love diarama's.

Very nice. Did you make the bases? I used to use plaster in the 1970's but it dried and cracked.

Rock

Love diarama's.

Very nice. Did you make the bases? I used to use plaster in the 1970's but it dried and cracked.

Rock

I've found that dirt from your yard, mixed with Elmers white glue works well for base ground work. you can sprinkle whatever groundwork you need on the glue while its still wet, and a coat of clear flat will tone down the wet look once it dries. Awesome work on my favorite light tank of WWII.

Wayne

• 3 months later...
Love diarama's.

Rock

Just like MP says, I use sand mostly instead of dirt but both work well. If I need a raised area I usually add some cardboaurd for fill so as to not have a bg pile of sand. For tire tracks and tread marks, I use a bit heavier amount of glue/sand, and set the tank directly on the area and that does a great job of leaving the imprint. For tires I just take one from the spare tire box and run one up and down the path several times to make it look like there been some traffic.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

• 8 months later...
Corsair pilot
M3A1 Africa, turret top, rear deck, and exhaust modified

This is awesome looking. What a great job on the detail. The mine sign is a nice touch.

kenny

• 3 months later...
Robswashashore

Just what I love about this Forum -- introductions to something I had heard about but never seen. I am reading a book about the North African Campaign that mentions the Stuart tanks quite a bit!

Very impressive... How do you dust them without breaking the small parts?

Jean

Free French M3A3. Upper hull completely scratch built, all rivets added by hand, turret is Tamiya M5A1. Had I waited a few years I could have just bought a resin kit, ....nah!

What are the tread like pieces on the turret ?, i always wanted to know this, as i see this on the stuart, there not from what i can tell spare treads as they do not look like them.

General Apathy

post-344-1310545334.jpg

I built these 25-30 years ago before all the resin add-ons became available so it's all from scratch when it comes to the variants.

here they are:

British "Honey"

Turret, side skirts, exhaust, and fender box all scratch built.

Hi 37thguy, a neat collection of well built variants including many scratch built additions you added :thumbsup: , the M-3 has always been a favourite of mine over the later M-5, there is something of a naivety about it's design.

I have a friend Mike and he has a collection of M-3s, sixteen of them in fact :lol::lol::lol:

more can be seen at the link below

http://www.milweb.net/features/m3a1_stuart_tank.php

lewis

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Garandomatic

I thought I was the only guy that did that! Had one spot on the farm where the soil was good and fine.

I've found that dirt from your yard, mixed with Elmers white glue works well for base ground work. you can sprinkle whatever groundwork you need on the glue while its still wet, and a coat of clear flat will tone down the wet look once it dries. Awesome work on my favorite light tank of WWII.

Wayne

Very nice Mark! I sometimes get the urge to dive back into my 1:35 scale building. And wish I still had my models I had built over the years. Being Army and moving every couple years almost made it impossible to keep them intact. Along with a few "accidents" from my wife at the time, they all went they way of the Dodo bird.

• 1 month later...