Opening a WWII C-ration!

OD MAN

I remember opening those when I was a kid. My dad retired from the military in 1961 and had several cases of WW2 rations he let my sister and I dive into. I only wish I had them now.

Did that one still maintain a seal?

YUMMY! Need some honey for that biscuit. :drool2:

I'll take my soluble coffee "black" please. :thumbsup:

:yucky:

General Apathy

Hi OD Man, just a word to you, keep a watch on those wrapped sweets from past experience they will absorb the damp in the atmosphere and melt into a sticky gloop, also they might leach out onto surrounding items. :crying:

Otherwise nice display of the small personal items. :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

Funny, thanks for posting the pics ODMAN. Kidding about the coffee, but if I were you, I'd just have to try one of those Charms candies. Bet they are still tasty. :w00t:

:yucky:

it's like a mini time capsule ! thats exactly what a WWII soldier would have seen if he opened it back in 1944

the can would have been shiny and new but the contents would be the same as shown

Never seen that before! Thanks for recording the "official opening" and sharing it with us!

(Enjoy!! :w00t: )

Sabrejet

Garandomatic

I've been drinking 20 year old tasters choice leftover from the MREs I got when I was in high school. It's, well, it's coffee.

Why would you do that? :crying: It was unopened...

I did it to display its contents. Everything will stay together and be taken care of. :thumbsup:

Here is another way to display the contents of a C ration. The ultra rare WWII visible C Ration can. BTW. When I made this display can, I laquered the candies so they wouldn't absorb moisture and melt down.

Bob

post-299-1268522590.jpg

General Apathy
Not to be out done, here is the ultra rare visible K ration box with all original WWII contents.

Bob

Hi Rambob, now that has to be one of the neatest ways of displaying an opened K ration, museum quality at the least. :thumbsup:

Cheers Lewis

Thanks guys!! I was really proud of the idea and execution. Here is a better view of the top of the K ration and contents.

Bob

post-299-1268523813.jpg

This leaves me asking the question... Were the canned portions of the K Ration smaller then, than say a Tuna sized can today? Or were the boxes maybe wider than the Repro boxes? I'm asking because a Tuna type can will fit, but there is not much wiggle room...

This is an ingenious way to display even reproduction rations...

Wayne

Here is a canparison between a K ration can and a tuna can. The K ration can is 3 inches diameter and 1 3/8 inches high. The tuna can is 3 3/8 inches diameter X 1 5/16 inches high.

Bob

post-299-1268613903.jpg

son of desertrat

but why would you open the can OD Man? I would think that it would be worth more still packed in the can.