A few recent finds

hotlead

I found a size large M-1956 equipment belt dated September 1959 for $5, there's a little fray on one edge but it's behind the right ammo case when assembled, so it'll work just fine.

Then I found a September 1951 lensatic compass, I didn't get such a good deal on this one, I paid about market price for a current issue one, so not too bad. Real good shape though, better than any of my other lensatic compasses.

The guy with the compass also had one of those surplus dealer put-together special shovels, an M-1943 shovel blade and handle attached with that funny stamped socket thing and riveted together that he said was WWI USMC issue. I showed him the similarities to a regular M-43 E-tool, told him the story about these shovels, and he was inclined to stop giving me that BS. I told him if he threw in this shovel, I'd only haggle a little on the compass. This shovel looked like it had been sitting on the roof for about 40 years, 1/16" thick rust scale all over, and the handle was dry and cracked. I cleaned it up and found that it was dated 1943, but the maker mark is partly lost to pitting, it shows- XXMP CO 1943. Can anyone tell me who this maker might be?

I know all of this is a dirty lie without pictures, so I'll get 'em up in a day or two.

After some searching, it looks like everyone else who has one of these weird shovels has "EMP CO 1945" markings on the blade. With the pitting obscuring the markings, I'll assume mine is the same.

I hope it does. Here's my example, after a few minutes on the wire wheel and some sand paper, with a fresh coat of paint.

IMG_1136.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

Seems like a pretty handy shovel, anyway. Since it doesn't fold, it doesn't make a very good cat-hole stool, but it'll still make the cat-hole :thumbsup:

Here's the belt and compass, they'll go with an early web set I'm putting together, so you'll see these pics in another thread in a minute.

IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1126.jpg