Reed

Hi

I bought this "beanie", but I believe that she it's not original. :unsure:

Original or not original?

Thanks

20rjki1.jpgdxfllc.jpg

2gvihbs.jpg

1zvpy55.jpgajt3wn.jpg

I took some pictures of my original cap, the brim is contructed different. I think you may have an older repo juding by the worn tag on yours.

The brim seems quite large, can you look through the fabric and tell if its made of leather or plastic?

Cardboard

Reed this maybe a differnet manufactor then, unless Johan's is also a repo. I would ask him about it, as I am not an expert at all.

ok thanks :thumbsup:

Johan Willaert

As far as I know the example from my collection shown above is original.

I have no reason to doubt the cap and have had it for many years...

General Apathy

post-344-1268433021.jpg

Hi All, I really do hate all this now, is it, isn't it, isn't it, is it, years ago when 99% of stuff was original and only certain individuals were faking things at home in a one off cottage industry size operation, it was all so much easier and much more fun.

Trying to decide what is and what isn't is not easy from photographs provided here on the forum, take the first Beanie which started this topic, as you scroll down the five photo's attached there the color of the item is changing in each photo, the last color looks nothing like the first two, but the last color does look closer to original colors than the first two do. Looking at the first two colors I would say fake, looking at the last two colors I would say original

For me I think it looks pretty good, especially in the last one with the label, that label does appear to resemble the old style coated cotton material used back in the forties. However to what lengths are reproducers going to copy originals, and if they are going to the length of copying the actual label material then I can only believe it is to catch unsuspecting collectors.

Originals did have cardboard peaks ( bills ), what is actually being used in repro's now I cannot say.

I do try to take all my photo's of kit now outside in natural daylight to try and ensure that the camera captures the color as close to what the item is as possible, indoor lighting is so poor for closeness of colors.

I have attached a photo of a pack of Beanies that I know as originals from stock I used to sell if that is any help for you to compare against.

Cheers Lewis

If you look at post#6 you can see the bill is attached differently. Mine, Dirt Detectives, and Lewis's caps all have the bills attached the same way. So I am just wondering why the other caps are different? :think:

Guys, I don't like the color of the sewing thread!! On my two original caps the sewing at the seams and at the bill use thread that is identical in color to the knit thread color. Also, carefully notice that the other original caps shown in this post, including Johans British Made cap, also have perfectly matching thread throughout. In fact at the bill on both of my caps, I can't easily see the thread used to sew there, because it matches so perfectly in color. In the photos of the suspect cap, the sewing thread color is way off from matching the rest of the cap. My two caps basically are different colors, one browner than the other, but the thread in each cap is an exact match, within the cap itself. But the suspect cap, with the nice label, may be the best repop cap ever made. My two cents.

Noticed something else after!! The six seams at the top of the suspect cap seem way too long to me compared to my WWII originals. My two caps seams measure no more than three inches long starting from the center of the star and most are 2 3/4 inches long.

Bob

I'm no expert by any means, frankly I'm new to this but I do have 4 original caps (this has been confirmed by local guys who know lot more than I do) and this cap looks good to me based on the lable alone. It seems as if it is the right material and the slight wear on it showing threads through the finish around the edges is similar to what I have seen and have on one of mine.

I could be wrong but it looks ok to me.

Lastly, put your nose right into that sucker and take a great, big whiff! Does it have that wonderful, musty, old, WWII aroma. That is my last great test of WWII originality!! BTW. In my previous post, it was misleading and I was NOT stating it was a repro. I am leaning toward it being an original, period made piece, but maybe not WWII.

Bob

• 6 years later...
American Graffiti

That was an original cap, all the way, like Ken said the giveaway is the glazed cotton size tag. Nobody has come anywhere near to repro-ing one of those.

Just my two cents

AG