G.A.R. Dept of Illinois Reunion Badges

KevinBeyer

KevinBeyer

New addition to the collection:

1928 - Kankakee, Illinois

It identifies David H. Harper as Department Commander 1927

1928GARDeptIllKankakee_1000.jpg

Kevin,

You have been on a collecting tear recently. Kudos that you have found some really nice, and diverse, badges for your collection, It seems to be either feast or famine with me. Either I am finding multiple items or a lot of nothing. Good work!

George

KevinBeyer

George,

Tell me about it! At this point in my collecting I typically add one new piece to each of my four primary collection per year. I have added four new badges to this G.A.R. Department of Illinois collection since January. I hope my luck stays with me. :-)

That being said, my entire Dept of Illinois collection is on display in this thread. If anyone has any badges that aren't represented, please post them. I really would like to see what a complete collection would look like.

Kevin

• 5 months later...

New additions to the collection:

1896 - Cairo, Illinois

1896GARDeptIllCairo_600.jpg

I have managed to determine that this badge depicts 1895 Department Commander W. H. Powell according to the Roster of the Department of Illinois, GAR, 1896.

1894 - Rockford, Illinois

It depicts H. H. McDowell as Department Commander 1893 Department Commander E. A. Blodgett as listed in the Roster of the Department of Illinois, GAR, 1896.

1894GARDeptIllRockford_600.jpg

Unlike many of its decedents, this pendant is lightweight and made of aluminum. This badge also appears to retain some of an original makers label. I do not know who the manufacturer was.

• 8 months later...

1903 - East St. Louis, Illinois

It depicts Harvey Marion Trimble as Department Commander 1903. Trimble went on to become the G.A.R. Commander-in-Chief for the 1911/1912 year.

1903GARDeptIllEastStLouis_1000.jpg

• 4 months later...

1931 - Aurora, Illinois

It depicts A. C. Best as Department Commander 1930. Mr. Best was the proprietor of A.C. Best & Son, Monument Builders in Princeton, Illinois, since 1869.

1931GARDeptIllAurora_1000.jpg

• 3 months later...

Kevin- Do you have one of the 1872 Remington rolling-block Springfields that were the parade guns for the comrads? As I remember there were about 20 of them. Yes I have one and know the story. Ken W.A.H. S. class of 1959.

Illinigander

Hi, Ken,

I am not familiar with the aforementioned Springfields. To whom did they belong, where were the kept, and how were they used? From the sound of it, they might belong in a class that exists a few levels above my own meager collecting!

Kevin

Marktk36thIL

The third one from Aurora I believe you are looking for is "Souvenir." I can't seem to upload it due to the file size.

Perhaps I'll try to write up a list of the Aurora G.A.R. Post #20 badges and its related affiliations.

• 1 month later...
illinigander

Kevin- Sorry I am so late but: These were US m/1872 Remington .50-70 rolling block rifles. They were kept in a glass case that I think was on the east side of one of rooms in the GAR building. I assume they were used for parades and funeral duties. An Aurora dentist was able to get the city/? to sell the whole lot for an under valued amount. This was about 1960-62. If you know of old-time Aurora antique arms Cliff Stoner, he was able to locate one of the original GAR Remington's for me in the early 1970's. I am sure the rest of the lot went to the four winds and their Aurora GAR connection is lost to history.

Illinigander

• 2 weeks later...

1929 - Rockford, Illinois

It identifies Charles T. Marsh as Department Commander 1928

1929GARDeptIllRockford_1000.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

These are great. Anything from the 93rd Illionois Vol Infantry? My Grandfathers, Grandfather served in that, along with his brother.

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

post-4767-0-61300000-1558570419_thumb.jpg

KevinBeyer

My collection only contains reunion badges from the G.A.R. Department of Illinois. I have not obtained anything from particular units, or corps. On my collecting budget, I need to keep a tight focus!

• 2 months later...

Prior to 1894, it appears that the G.A.R. Dept of Illinois used solely ribbons instead of badges proper for their Dept. Encampments. Here are examples that I found online. Only the 1893 ribbon from Springfield is in my collection.

1884_1885_1887_1894_775.jpg

If anyone has any others, please share them with us.

Kevin

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

It has been a long time since I've added a new badge to this collection.  I guess this is what happens when you get close to completing a collection.  

I guess the real question is, "Will I find them all before I die?"

1933 - Jacksonville, Illinois

It identifies William O'Callaghan as Department Commander 1932

1933GARDeptIll_Jacksonville_obverse.jpg.78cd95a41e91ac1377e2c6a68acdb56c.jpg1933GARDeptIll_Jacksonville.jpg.7c9fb8c5dc061cee3eda6cae4d8c781a.jpg