47th Bombardment Squadron

disneydave

disneydave

This item comes our way courtesy my good friend Sam Grabarski. Sam has an outstanding collection of original WW II patches that feature Disney-designed emblems. Images of all his items will be included in another book that I have in the works.

This particular patch is silkscreened on felt. The Dumbo Crow image was designed for the 47th Bomardment Squadron, which was part of the 41st Bombardment Group. According to my database, this design was created in mid-1942.

The 41st B.G. was posted to active duty in the Central Pacific in December 1943. Men in the Group flew the B-25 bomber. The 41st saw action in and around the Marshalls and Caroline Islands. In October 1944 the Group was posted back to Hawaii where the men were trained with new rocket firing B-25s. From May to June 1945 the Group was posted on the island of Okinawa, where the men and their bombers launched their attacks against targets on the Japanese island of Kyushu.

The quality of this patch is outstanding and the image is another of my favorites.

blog_47th.2.jpg