"Boldly going where no jungle-jacket has gone before..."

Sabrejet

Do you know anything about the jacket? Source, etc.?

All I can tell you is that it's been in my posession since the very early 90s...bought from a guy who both collected and dealt in Vietnam era memoribilia. Actually, it doesn't bother me in the least that it doesn't contain a serial number, laundry mark or blood group etc., etc. It's just a fine example of type with a nice range of genuine insignia... and a quirky name to boot. I can live with that!

Sabrejet

All I can tell you is that it's been in my posession since the very early 90s...bought from a guy who both collected and dealt in Vietnam era memoribilia. Actually, it doesn't bother me in the least that it doesn't contain a serial number, laundry mark or blood group etc., etc. It's just a fine example of type with a nice range of genuine insignia... and a quirky name to boot. I can live with that!

Sabrejet

This probably doesn't help you all that much as I don't know what the Army did but in my unit in 67-68 it would have been very uncommon to have had a serial number of blood type on a uniform, particularly one worn in the field. Many of us didn't even put our name on them.

It was also the exception rather than the norm for a bush uniform to have a patch, though occasionally someone or other wore a jungle jacket with our blk/gray RT Grim Reaper patch. A bit more common was a hand-drawn blk magic marker-applied skull/crossbones on the chest area (I still have an old one with those markings around somewhere).

River Patrol

Sabrejet

Great!

First off, I'm super happy that you're happy with what you've got.

For those that want to learn original from "less than" original U.S. vietnam uniforms...this is a good lesson.

First: Skip pointed out the lack of ranger or jump qualification on an infantry officer -- highly irregular (although not improbable).

Second: No listings for this name on the Recondo School graduate list, as indicated by the pocket patch.

Third: Not directly from the vet....thus, no way to explain the inconsistencies.

Steve

This probably doesn't help you all that much as I don't know what the Army did but in my unit in 67-68 it would have been very uncommon to have had a serial number of blood type on a uniform, particularly one worn in the field. Many of us didn't even put our name on them.

It was also the exception rather than the norm for a bush uniform to have a patch, though occasionally someone or other wore a jungle jacket with our blk/gray RT Grim Reaper patch. A bit more common was a hand-drawn blk magic marker-applied skull/crossbones on the chest area (I still have an old one with those markings around somewhere).

Thanks Recon. That's a great insight to how it was!

Ian :thumbsup:

Years ago when I was on AT in S. Korea I met a real life superhero. I had to report for a work detail to none other than Captain Justice. It was an effort to prevent myself from cracking a smile when I first saw him. Fortunately, he was indeed a fair and impartial man.

What else would you expect from CAPTAIN JUSTICE! The name just conjurs up an image of a superhero with a flowing cape overlooking the city for evil doers!

On the opposite end of the spectrum....

I'd forgotten about this person as it was actually someone I did not get along with nor found amusing. When I met him he was LTC Minor.

Years later I realized part of the reason that he was probably so miserable was that before he was promoted he would have been Major Minor! That could not have been fun at all!

They only thing I can think of that is worse than having a last name that humorously conflicts with the rank is having a generally bad name during basic. We had a Richard Head in mine. That coupled with the fact he was not the sharpest crayon in the box meant...well...most of us were able to dodge the DI's hourly rants...most were usually directed towards "Dick".