"Boldly going where no jungle-jacket has gone before..."

Sabrejet

This '69 dated jungle-jacket is actually named to one "Captain Kirk"...pretty cool, huh?! In its pocket was also a used white cotton name tape with KIRK printed in black. There's a nice range of insignia including a full-colour BRO patch and an early embroidered twill 199th Infantry Brigade patch. On the pocket is a generic Recondo patch.

post-8022-1268080570.jpg post-8022-1268080594.jpg

Sabrejet

Cobrahistorian

Very cool jacket. I regularly ride the train with a LTC Kirk, who got no end of ribbing when he was a Captain!

Very cool jacket. I regularly ride the train with a LTC Kirk, who got no end of ribbing when he was a Captain!

Thanks Cobra...is that so!? I'll bet he was glad when he made Major!?

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

I bet he caught hell when the original Star Trek was playing.

Believe it or not I saluted a captain at Fort Hood one day and just about lost it when I read his name tag.... Cpt. ACTION! I kid you not! I watched him leave wondering if he was going to put his hands over his head and fly away!

craig_pickrall

That is a nice shirt but I am kind of surprised to see an Infantry CAPT in the VN era that doesn't have a Ranger Tab or Jump Wings. Any history on Kirk?

That is a nice shirt but I am kind of surprised to see an Infantry CAPT in the VN era that doesn't have a Ranger Tab or Jump Wings. Any history on Kirk?

Hi Craig. None whatsoever unfortunately. It's just as it was when I acquired it in the early 90s.

Ian

Nice! Sure he caught all kinds of flack. Same as the LTC that cobra knows.

I always got a kick out of guys named Sargent, whether they were Enlisted or Ossifer.

Back in the early 1980s, I knew a Signalman First Class who was stationed on a Reserve Destroyer out of Long Beach, CA. He was single, and used to "Hit the Beach" in LA. His real Name was James T. Kirk. He got a leather Navy flight Jacket, and had a name patch made up and put fighter squadron patches all over it. He used his real name, and used "Trekker" as his handle. This was just after the movie "Top Gun" came out. Being in LA, no one knew the differance, and just assumed since he had the jacket, he was a fighter pilot. He did quite well back then. Interestingly enough, he was in that movie "Final Count Down" where the carrier goes back in time at Pearl Harbor. he is portraying himself (he was an SM2 on the Nimitz at the time). He is transmitting a message by flashing light to the following ships telling them to return to port.

Steve Hesson

Back in the early 1980s, I knew a Signalman First Class who was stationed on a Reserve Destroyer out of Long Beach, CA. He was single, and used to "Hit the Beach" in LA. His real Name was James T. Kirk. He got a leather Navy flight Jacket, and had a name patch made up and put fighter squadron patches all over it. He used his real name, and used "Trekker" as his handle. This was just after the movie "Top Gun" came out. Being in LA, no one knew the differance, and just assumed since he had the jacket, he was a fighter pilot. He did quite well back then. Interestingly enough, he was in that movie "Final Count Down" where the carrier goes back in time at Pearl Harbor. he is portraying himself (he was an SM2 on the Nimitz at the time). He is transmitting a message by flashing light to the following ships telling them to return to port.

Steve Hesson

Hi Steve. Great story! Now.. I wonder if anyone out there ever served with an officer named Spock...or Picard?!!

Ian ;)

I once bought a name tape for a guy named Quirk thinking ti was pretty funny,

but my favorite was a Public Affairs office in the Mass guard nanmed Tammy Miracle. When Captain Miracle was promoted to Major Miracle you can just imagine.

Then up this was lots of guys know Bill Sergeant- who was a Sergeant in the Marines...

When I was stationed in Germany in 1965 we started getting Infantry officers who were neither Jump qualified nor Ranger qualified. One of these was a 2LT named Fuzz.

River Patrol

Medical Command had a Major Little stationed with us..Oddly enough he became a full bird and retired. His retirement house (as he calls it) is about 3 miles from my house.

That's almost as bad as having a first name of Bill and your wife's first name is Hilary (mercifully spelled with one less "L" than "The Hillary") :pinch:

River Patrol

Unfortunately......

There is no Kirk that completed Recondo school before 1971......not sure about post 1971 though.......

This '69 dated jungle-jacket is actually named to one "Captain Kirk"...pretty cool, huh?! In its pocket was also a used white cotton name tape with KIRK printed in black. There's a nice range of insignia including a full-colour BRO patch and an early embroidered twill 199th Infantry Brigade patch. On the pocket is a generic Recondo patch.

2010_0914Patches0026.JPG 2010_0914Patches0027.JPG

Sabrejet

River Patrol
Unfortunately......

There is no Kirk that completed Recondo school before 1971......not sure about post 1971 though.......

Do you know anything about the jacket? Source, etc.?

NobleLoyalGSD

Years ago when I was on AT in S. Korea I met a real life superhero. I had to report for a work detail to none other than Captain Justice. It was an effort to prevent myself from cracking a smile when I first saw him. Fortunately, he was indeed a fair and impartial man.