War of 1812 Reenacting

DevilDan1900

DevilDan1900

Here are a few shots from a War of 1812 event I attended last weekend in Bath, Ontario. During the early part of the War, U.S. forces on Lake Ontario sacked the town of Bath in association with the invasion of Canada. I belong to a group which portray the 15th U.S. Infantry and we trailored up a 37 foot bateau, the Rooster, which belongs to the Battle of Plattsburgh Association to partake in the naval landing and assault of the town. Thought some of you out there would like to see an earlier time period than what is generally posted here.

post-156-1183522068.jpg

DevilDan1900

Here is a shot of the Rooster, myself on board, with our support vessel, the brigantine St. Lawrence II which was portraying the USS Oneida for the weekend. In this shot we are preparing to assault the beach with several other gunboats. Imagine an 1812 version of D-Day, minus MG-42s.

post-156-1183522358.jpg

DevilDan1900

Here's the 15th, supported by Forsythe's Rifles, sailors from the Oneida and the other gunboats, the Wolf, Blacksnake, and Marganser, hitting the beach.

post-156-1183522582.jpg

DevilDan1900

This one is a bit hard to see, but it was our night naval tactical. Lanterns all mounted in the rigging, broadsides coming from the Oneida and our swivel guns, as well as artillery on shore and our muskets aboard the bateau. Needless to say, this was FUN.

post-156-1183523485.jpg

DevilDan1900

The ketch Marganser and the bateau Rooster during our withdrawal from Bath after a fighting retreat back to the vessels from the center of town. I'm in the stern of the Rooster with the musket preparing to cover our escape to the Lake while our bow gunner hammers at the British advance with the 3 lb. swivel gun.

post-156-1183524324.jpg

DevilDan1900

The British forces performing "present arms" with fixed bayonets following the parade and ceremonies after the reenactment.

post-156-1183525010.jpg

disneydave

Neat photos. I recommend Pierre Berton's two books on the conflict: "War of 1812" and "Flames Across the Border." There is also a huge tome written on the life of the great Tecumseh - the name of which escapes me right now - the book is in the bedroom and the wife is asleep, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to post the title.

I have a small collection of War of 1812 newspapers, including a great Niles Weekly Register published shortly after British regulars and Canadian militia assaulted and burned several key buildings in Washington, D.C., including the Presidential Mansion.

Neat photos. I recommend Pierre Berton's two books on the conflict: "War of 1812" and "Flames Across the Border." There is also a huge tome written on the life of the great Tecumseh - the name of which escapes me right now - the book is in the bedroom and the wife is asleep, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to post the title.

I have a small collection of War of 1812 newspapers, including a great Niles Weekly Register published shortly after British regulars and Canadian militia assaulted and burned several key buildings in Washington, D.C., including the Presidential Mansion.

Are you familiar with the 1812 related events at Ft. Meigs near Toledo, OH?

Are you familiar with the 1812 related events at Ft. Meigs near Toledo, OH?

Gil,

I used to volunteer at Fort Meigs!

disneydave

The name of the book about the great Shawnee warrior Tecunseh is "A Sorrow in Our Heart," written by Allan Eckert. The book is almost 800 pages long and the author claims to have used 850 different research sources.

I live on the west coast and have never been to any War of 1812 related events.

Gil,

I used to volunteer at Fort Meigs!

I have visted there but have never made the events. I graduated from Bowling Green and remember the park before they restored the fort. (Yeah, I'm old.)

G

• 1 month later...

I live in a city called "Oneida", in Central New York. How entertaining! I own a few War of 1812 items - I ought to post...

Chris