M9A1 Gas Mask Bag - How Long Were They Used?

ClaptonIsGod

ClaptonIsGod

Hello everyone, I recently also got this gas mask bag.

I would like to know the era of the bag, I think it's Vietnam, are the markings on the flap issue or done by the soldier? If it's any help, "REX" is written on the back.

Thanks.

post-4251-1267993260.jpg

The M9 series was adopted in 1947 and, according to one web site, used into the Vietnam Era. But the M17 mask is one used for the most part in Vietnam by the Army in my opinion. The M9 probably saw use during the Vietnam Era mostly by the National Guard and Army Reserves.

ClaptonIsGod
The M9 series was adopted in 1947 and, according to one web site, used into the Vietnam Era. But the M17 mask is one used for the most part in Vietnam by the Army in my opinion. The M9 probably saw use during the Vietnam Era mostly by the National Guard and Army Reserves.

Thanks! So, I guess my guess was right on this: Vietnam era gas mask bag :)

Thanks! So, I guess my guess was right on this: Vietnam era gas mask bag :)

Well sort of. Depending on exactly what you are trying to put together, a typical soldier in Vietnam, if he even carried a protective mask, would more than likely have the M17 mask, not the the M9. A national Guardsman or a Reservist could have had an M9, but no too far into the 1960s.

hbtcoveralls

Right, think Kent State (the photos I remember show the guardsmen with tne M-9) not Khe Sahn.

Tom Bowers

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.