WWII Navy flight helmet receiver question

cricket

Can anyone tell me anything about these receivers? They're in a Slote & Klein N288s-30999 helmet with a Telephonics comm cord? I've never seen this type of receiver before... are they post war?

post-598-1267982270.jpg

I've seen that same shaped receiver on WWII helmets

used in WWII (as opposed to WWII helmets that were

used post war and often shown with a lip mic attached).

I've not seen that manufacturer before.

pararaftanr2

Hello Cricket,

That is an interesting set up you have there. All of the WWII vintage "flat sided" Navy head sets I have are marked ANB-H-1A and G.Q.F. below that. These were 300 ohm, low impedance, dynamic ear phones. I have never seen a pair with markings similar to yours, but they could just be another manufacturer, or possibly a post-war contract. Both say "Patent Applied For" on them. The rubber covered cord you have pictured with them is the type used with the earlier Telephonics TH-37 head phones, but the summer flight helmet you have includes the factory stitched leather reinforcements for the oxygen mask snaps. This was a post-war feature and is often seen in Koren War vintage photos of Navy Corsair pilots. Sorry I can't be of more help. Regards, Paul

Paul,

Yes this one has me puzzled as well. Are you sure the AN6540-3S was strictly a post war helmet?? It's very possible this is a post war set with those receivers but I'm not so sure the fact it has the factory installed oyster colored leather strips with snaps makes it so. I always thought that was a late war model, I think Prodger may even discuss this model in his book, not that that makes it God's word or anything, but I think it's a fairly respected source among collectors. Now you have me thinking about the helmet itself, can you tell me more about the production period?

jp