Mae west life jacket earth find Groesbeek.

steven

Hello

This weekend i went to Groesbeek to search with my metal detector.

One of the findings that day was a spare barrel from a .30 browning machine gun and a US life jacket with co2 bottle.

ZoekenGroesbeek6-3-10024.jpg

ZoekenGroesbeek6-3-10016.jpg

ZoekenGroesbeek6-3-10025.jpg

ZoekenGroesbeek6-3-10026.jpg

ZoekenGroesbeek6-3-10027.jpg

co2flesjeschoon001.jpg

There was a name on the life jacket and thats great ,but i can`t find it on the nara site maybe someone can help me.

The name is G R Brendle and his number is o-681286 or o-631386 or o-687286 or 637386 i`m not sure about the number because its not so clear.

On the site where landed 82nd 505pir and 325 gir.

Thank you.

My 1st thought was Air Corps - is that actually a parachute harness there with the Mae West? And is the O2 bottle not a "bail out" bottle from an aircraft??

I think this is actually your man... this would agree with the officer's serial number you listed:

From the National WW2 Memorial website:

George Robert Brendle

BRANCH OF SERVICE

U.S. Army Air Forces

HOMETOWN

Edwardsville, IL

HONORED BY

Steve Brendle, Son

ACTIVITY DURING WWII

BOMBER PILOT. FLEW 67 MISSIONS IN B-26 MARAUDER, EUROPEAN THEATER OF OPERATIONS. AWARDED THE DISTINGUISHED FLYING CROSS AND AIR MEDAL WITH 12 OAK LEAF CLUSTERS. RETIRED FROM THE U.S. AIR FORCE AFTER 31 YEARS OF SERVICE.

MW

To clarify - isn't the round thing the locking clasp to lock shut the parachute harness on an aircrew paperchute rig?

MW

My 1956 Air Force Register shows George R. Brendle's serial number to be 9946A if that helps... that Register and another book I have show he served from July 1941 through 1971...

He is also listed on this website - that means he is named in an aircraft accident report or in a missing air crew report i it'd be well worth your $25.00 to get copies of what reports they have... you might find he was shot down in the vicinity of where you found these items...

http://www.accident-report.com/crews/alpha/namebr_bz.html

MW

A couple more interesting tidbits on Brendle... these from the on-line history of his unit (I Google searched his name) - he was in the 596th Bomb Squadron, obviously flying in / over Europe... perhaps his items were lost then...

Here is the site: http://b26.com/img/misc/596_squadron_history.pdf the info below was from the January 1945 entires...

5. The following Officer Promotions took place during the month: F/O Wm. R. McGillicudy to 2nd Lt. 1st Lt. George W. Parker to Captain. CWO E.D. Walker to 2nd Lt. 1st Lt. F.E. Brown to Capt with date of rank from 23 June. Under the Air Liaison Program at IX TAC and 1st Army, the following crews spent a week at the front: Lt. Col. McLeod, Captains Domke, Yeast and crew from Jan. 1st to 8th. Maj. Weltzin, Lts. Brendle, Hill, Joy and crews from Jan 15th to 23rd. Captain Roberts R. Evans went on DS to XIX TAC for six weeks as Air-Ground Liaison Officer.

6. In order to better understand the problems and operations of other branches of service, we have been sending crews to the front and they have been sending men to our base. During January we had 3 Officers and 3 Enlisted Men from the 3rd Cavalry Group. They were shown our Operations, Intelligence, etc., and flew on several missions.

In going through that unit history quickly, I did not see any entry for Brendle being shot down over Holland, but his squadron did in fact fly missions there... they did lose some crews to flak & fighters too, so maybe someone else had his gear that day, maybe he left it / lost it when he did that stint of ground duty...

Still be worth getting or at least checking to see what those AccidentReports.com reports have...

MW

To clarify - isn't the round thing the locking clasp to lock shut the parachute harness on an aircrew paperchute rig?

MW

Mike

You are correct.Thats a locking ring from the box on a parachute harness.

RD

ClaptonIsGod

Field Title Value Meaning

ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 36042030 36042030

NAME BRENDLE#GEORGE#R######## BRENDLE#GEORGE#R########

RESIDENCE: STATE #1 Undefined Code

RESIDENCE: COUNTY 119 Undefined Code

PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 6120 CHICAGO ILLINOIS

DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 15 15

DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 07 07

DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 41 41

GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION ##0# Undefined Code

GRADE: CODE 8 Private

BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION BI# Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA

BRANCH: CODE 00 Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA

FIELD USE AS DESIRED # #

TERM OF ENLISTMENT 0 Undefined Code

LONGEVITY ### ###

SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL 0 Civil Life

NATIVITY 61 ILLINOIS

YEAR OF BIRTH 18 18

RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 1 White, citizen

EDUCATION 4 4 years of high school

CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 770 Firemen, other than process firemen

MARITAL STATUS 6 Single, without dependents

COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 7 Selectees (Enlisted Men)

CARD NUMBER # #

BOX NUMBER 1027 1027

FILM REEL NUMBER 5.89# 5.89#

According to his entry in the 1947-48 Officers Register he started out as an enlisted man:

brendle47_48.jpg

Thanks forum support and claptonisgod for your post.

But MW what was the number you find G R Brendel and do you have a link to the memorial site where this text stands.

Thank you All

Cobrahistorian

I've found a MACR that he's a witness on. MACR 11483 for B-26B-55 42-96144 "Bank Nite Betty" from the 596th Bomb Squadron, 397th Bomb Group. This was not a mission that he went down on, but he witnessed this particular bomber get hit and crash. His serial number is O-687286

BrendlePage3.jpg

BrendlePage2.jpg

Isn't that circular item in the first photo made of grey plastic?

If so, it's the inner piece for a hand access "porthole" for a CG-4A glider. Fits in a grey circular outer ring that goes in various places on the glider fuselage.

Cheers,

Glen.

Isn't that circular item in the first photo made of grey plastic?

If so, it's the inner piece for a hand access "porthole" for a CG-4A glider. Fits in a grey circular outer ring that goes in various places on the glider fuselage.

Cheers,

Glen.

Hey Glen

It`s made from grey plastic.

Do you have a example of this?