Original WWII tanker jacket opinions

M24 Chaffee

M24 Chaffee

Hello,

I purchased this WWII tankers jacket a few years ago. I believe that from what I've learned from this site and other sources that this is authentic (I hope). However, it does have a feature that I've not seen before. The back of the sleeves have a type of elbow patch. Its very light green and reminds me of the type of patches seen on WWII paratrooper jump suits.

In the included photos you can see that the jacket is in very used condition. lots of sloppy repairs. I wonder if it may have been used after the war as a work coat. The patches were added recently for display. There were marks indicating that rank chevrons were present at some time. Included with this coat were original replacement collar and wrist bands. I'm not sure if I'll replace them in the future or not. With consideration to its condition, I got this coat at a very inexpensive price. I hope that it's original but am prepared for any comments. Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Frank

post-2899-1267917962.jpg

I think your jacket is fine.Lots of original repairs.The sleeve patches were repairs or re-inforcements in my opinion.I have a jacket that belonged to a Colonel and he placed leather patches on the elbows.

RD

Very used condition or not- that is one cool Tanker :w00t: :thumbsup:

Those sleeve patches are every bit as likely to have been installed during War service as not- possibly put there to prevent wear-through.

Very nice jacket, no question that its original. I have owned 3 tanker jackets so far, and all have had some sort of repair. My tanker jacket has nearly identical arm repairs. Ill post pics in a couple minutes. :thumbsup:

M24 Chaffee

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I was very excited to find this jacket. The fact that it's been used/repaired didn't bother me at all. Being original and used/repaired makes it more interesting. Thanks for helping me confirm this. OD man, I appreciate the photos of your tanker. I'd like to add some communication gear to my display as well. I also like the shoulder holster. I included a photo of my tanker display.

Thanks,

Frank

post-2899-1267982024.jpg

I once had a B-10 flight jacket with very similar elbow patches. I was never sure if they were WW2 originals or added post-war when/if the jacket was worn as work-wear as so many military jackets were.

Sabrejet.

Awesome room man, I need to get one of those glass displays.

Ikea. Very good value. Got one I use to keep my helmets in, amongst other stuff.

• 10 years later...

I too think that most of what’s been done was war time.

I also agree with Saberjet that these jackets were worn after the war either by the vet, the vets children or bought to use through a surplus store.

Some of the repairs might have been done by Mom.

Regardless this one has amazing character and looks the part of a well worn combat tanker.

On 1/12/2021 at 1:11 PM, manayunkman said:

I too think that most of what’s been done was war time.

I also agree with Saberjet that these jackets were worn after the war either by the vet, the vets children or bought to use through a surplus store.

Some of the repairs might have been done by Mom.

Regardless this one has amazing character and looks the part of a well worn combat tanker.

Manayunkman, Thanks for your comment! I still enjoy having this tanker jacket! Here’s an updated display photo.

Frank

8EB99E27-530B-43D6-B624-B53BDAC7337D.jpeg