Vanguard Wings Help

Wiendolch

Hello,

I just recieved these Vanguard wings and i must say they are sweet, the reverse has some sticky/tacky gunk on them i'll have to clean up but wht do i use that would leave the patina. Also Anyone know the period of this makers mark ?

In the picture of the reverse you see what looks like rust but it's not that's the gunk i need to clean off the front side is gunk free

post-10008-1267836531.jpg

Post World War 2 for sure. I can't remember when Vanguard started using the 1V mark. I think it's the 50s sometime. I know there are a lot of threads out here on the alpha-numeric codes and when they kicked in but definitely post WW2.

Thanks,

It's my understanding the raised makers mark and sterling mark are a good sign of WWII period along with the early clasp with the two stright bars and not the rolled edge. I thought these would be post WWII and maybe pre Korea to early Korea.

When i return from work i'll try to clean the gunk with dish soap and water first using my fingers or a soft cloth unless someone else has a better idea that would leave the patina intact.

Eric

Hello,

I just recieved these Vanguard wings and i must say they are sweet, the reverse has some sticky/tacky gunk on them i'll have to clean up but wht do i use that would leave the patina.

:bye1:

The absolute best cleaning agent I've found to remove dirt or gunk from a badge is called "Greased Lighting" which can be found at Lowes Hardware, Home Depot, Wal-Mart or most any well known grocery store. Just soak the badge in it for a minute or two before scrubbing it with a soft bristled tooth brush. Rinse it in warm water and "wallah" :w00t: you will have the cleanest badge in the neighborhood.

This stuff won't harm your badge in any way but be aware that it really cleans so afterwards if you notice that the front of your badge looks a bit brighter than before that is because some of what could be called "patina" was really dirt.

Cliff :wink2:

John Cooper
When i return from work i'll try to clean the gunk with dish soap and water first using my fingers or a soft cloth unless someone else has a better idea that would leave the patina intact.

Eric

Eric,

I have had very good results with warm water @ a baby tooth brush if it is really dirty (I think Paul S was the person that told me this method). I have to say sometimes the dirt & natural patina combination provides a good look.

Cheers

John