Extremely Old Navy Rates?

Steindaddie

As always, my fellow forum members are a wealth of knowledge. :thumbsup: Here's a few more of these old rates.
Again, these are 1893 to 1913 rates for the dress white uniforms. The crossed quils (feathers0 are for Yeoman, Crossed anchors Boatswains Mate, Ships Propellor is Machienist Mate, the Star is Master At Arms (Previously Ships corporal), The Globe is Electricians Mate and the crossed axes is Carpenters Mate.

Steve Hesson

Sweet Manna from the golden era navy rating badges (1st 30 yrs) you might be suprised at how significant the little anchor in the upper left corner of the first post is. It is the seldom seen, not even pictured in the uniform regs Gun Capt distinguishing mark 1897-1904 (it is the 4th one I have seen ever).

John

Here are some of mine. My great Uncle gave them to me in 1978. I have a few non-framed ones I received after his death. He was a collector of many things himself and sent copies of these away to the US Naval Museum and received a letter from the Senior Curator (James Cheevers) identifying them and dates they were adopted. He provided me a complete packet of information on the rates.

Bannerman sold these for pretty cheap in the 20s and as late as 1951 if I recall correctly.

post-7194-1268717162.jpg

Here are some of mine. My great Uncle gave them to me in 1978. I have a few non-framed ones I received after his death. He was a collector of many things himself and sent copies of these away to the US Naval Museum and received a letter from the Senior Curator (James Cheevers) identifying them and dates they were adopted. He provided me a complete packet of information on the rates.

Bannerman sold these for pretty cheap in the 20s and as late as 1951 if I recall correctly.

Interestingly enough, the only one of these that I have ever seen actually filled in is the collection of this post with a Coxwains anchor done for whites. The only other closest is a partially done Petty Officers crow that was stuck on a WW1 undress blue jumper and attempted to be passed off as a Civil War Petty Officers uniform. would love to see some of these tmeplates actually filled in. I do not think they were all that often used as they are very rare.

Steve Hessson

As always, my fellow forum members are a wealth of knowledge. :thumbsup: Here's a few more of these old rates.

The ones with the chevron stitching style like the second class Master At Arms petty officer in the middle of this photo are 1894-1905 era.

-dan

Sweet Manna from the golden era navy rating badges (1st 30 yrs) you might be suprised at how significant the little anchor in the upper left corner of the first post is. It is the seldom seen, not even pictured in the uniform regs Gun Capt distinguishing mark 1897-1904 (it is the 4th one I have seen ever).

John

You would know, John. You've got one of the rarest rating badges I've yet to see. Gun Captain chief petty officer.

-dan

The second class Water Tender and third class Master At Arms, as well as other in this photo, are 1905-1913 rating badges as evidenced by the design of the eagle, the stitching style on the chevrons and the use of scarlet chevrons on white material.

As previously mentioned, the second class Master At Arms is an 1894-1905 rating badge.

-dan

Glad to see that the status board on the quarterdeck has Dan logged on as on board that little anchor rocks, I would gravitate towards the 85 cook. master at arms and sail maker..... 85 MAA but the Gun Capt is niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

JMHO John.