Extremely Old Navy Rates?

Steindaddie

Steindaddie

They look ancient, but what's the age and ID on these rates? I think I know a few, but I shall bow to the experts here to decide.

post-1949-1267809528.jpg

You have what appears to be pretty close to the mother load of early Navy rates and marks many super desirable rates from 1885- 1913 some of the printed ones are post CW and some of single marks are newer. You are going to see a lot of comments, drooling and offers soon.

John

Yep, there are some beautiful old rating badges there. That's just about the most primo collection of those "oldies but goodies", I guess I've ever seen. I'd have to get out my copy of John Staceys book to ID many of the older ones correctly.

OUTSTANDING collection! :thumbsup:

Steindaddie

Gents: Thanks for all the good thumbs up! These came from the estate of a navy chief and are actually about half the stuff - the rest are mostly same rate, different rank.

PS. It must be mentioned here that these are not available for sale or trade. I'm just showing these for the purpose of enhancing my extreme lack of knowledge. ;)

Gents: Thanks for all the good thumbs up! These came from the estate of a navy chief and are actually about half the stuff - the rest are mostly same rate, different rank.

PS. It must be mentioned here that these are not available for sale or trade. I'm just showing these for the purpose of enhancing my extreme lack of knowledge. ;)

Look at those Crows. Great stuff. Pony.

More...
These are not the actual rates. They are the templates that Sailors were to use to embroider their own. These were introduced in 1866 and used until 1883. The rest are simply fantastic!

Steve Hesson

You have so many you want identified, you need to acquire John Stacey's great book "United States Navy Rating Badges and Marks 1833 to 2008".

If you are not a member of ASMIC, join and you can this book and others at a discount. Their website is www.asmic.org They have the new revised edition for $28.00 plus postage. Anyone interested in rating badges needs a copy of this book.

Steindaddie
you need to acquire John Stacey's great book "United States Navy Rating Badges and Marks 1833 to 2008".

Thanks for that info :thumbsup:

OMG did we jump into a time machine and go back. What a fantastic, spontanous, lucky collection. How old was the CPO?

Show us more.

4starchris

They look ancient, but what's the age and ID on these rates? I think I know a few, but I shall bow to the experts here to decide.
just for rough dates, these are around WW1 and earlier.

Steve Hesson

And still more..
The wings pointing up were 1893 to 1940. The white "Point up wing" crown with red chevrons were dropped in 1913.

Steve Hesson

PatchMeThru

I really do like those Electrician Radioman distinguishing marks. However, I have seen a few variations of them, some of which the lightning bolts all come to a point and on others they do not. The first one I found for my personal collection was turned with all of the bolts coming to a point facing downward. And the patch was placed just a few inches below the Electricians Mate 1st Class rate.

Does anyone have an further information about these DMs?

I really do like those Electrician Radioman distinguishing marks. However, I have seen a few variations of them, some of which the lightning bolts all come to a point and on others they do not. The first one I found for my personal collection was turned with all of the bolts coming to a point facing downward. And the patch was placed just a few inches below the Electricians Mate 1st Class rate.

Does anyone have an further information about these DMs?

In those days, there was not the QA there is today with these sorts of things. Also, the Navy did not get as "into" the minutia of details about uniforms as did the Army. These patches came from varied sources, form "official" manufactuerers, to the Sailors themselves making them. In the middle were assorted commercial makers and sellers.

The spot just below the crow was the standard place for most of these sorts of marks. They indicated a more "prime" function. Meaning that while the Sailor was an "Electrician", his main function was radio.

As far as pointing up , to the front or aft, while there may have been some "official" written instruction specifing the proper direction, most Sailors never saw uniform regulations and followed along with what ever they saw others doing. I was in the Navy for 14 years and was an SM! before I ever saw a copy of uniform regulations and was actually amazed at what was in there and at what we were doing "against regs" simply because we didn't know any better and just "made it up as we went along". Very common for the Navy. It wasn't until receantly that those sorts of details were actually important to the Fleet Sailor.

Steve Hesson

Steindaddie

As always, my fellow forum members are a wealth of knowledge. :thumbsup: Here's a few more of these old rates.

post-1949-1268503217.jpg