sgtdorango

Tanks as Monuments / Displays

post-34986-0-69168400-1545277717_thumb.jpg

Was able to locate that late 40s photo of the previously mentioned Pershing's at Knox (photo from around 1949, note the school still called Armored School rather than the new Armor Center & School that it would be called post 1950 with the new Armor Branch).

It was there beauties here and others like them scattered around the post, 22 in all, that were dragooned into first line service in the late summer of 1950 at Knox to equip the 70th Tank Battalion for immediate combat service in Korea, The Ft Knox Pershing monument tanks were only enough to equip one company of the battalion, A Co?, the other two companies got an emergency delivery of Easy 8s from Rock Island before shipping out to California, while better then nothing, they had a few problems, for one they apparently all lacked both their co-axle and hull machine guns, the battalion didn't even go to Japan first, it was sent directly to Pusan and the front upon arrival..

This is a great thread! Here are a few taken at Vandenberg AFB about 4-5 years ago.

post-200450-0-52230400-1545281029_thumb.jpg

Looking for items related to the Ninth Coast Artillery District and 6th Coast Artillery Regment

Same, another angle...

post-200450-0-70875300-1545281078_thumb.jpg

Looking for items related to the Ninth Coast Artillery District and 6th Coast Artillery Regment

One more...

post-200450-0-46249800-1545281149_thumb.jpg

Last one...

post-200450-0-68138900-1545281187_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture taken at the entrance to the Kubinka army base in Russia in 2001. That is me on the right with two of my co-workers in front of a JS-3. Just down the road behind the tank is the main gate. Try as we might, we could not get them to let us in to see the armor collection. For those that may not know, Kubinka houses one of the largest collections of armor in the world. Back in 2001, the collection was not open to the public except with special permission, which we did not have. And bribes didn't work, we tried. The second picture was taken through the gate of some of the tanks that were outside. One is an M5 Stuart, so I hope this post will meet the requirements of this site since it is a U.S. tank.

post-165768-0-40492500-1545328274_thumb.jpg

Mike B. in 'Bama

An early 60s Knox photo at one of the approaches to the main gate, I think main gate, it's on a feature called Mulldraugh Hill.

post-34986-0-74155400-1545968161_thumb.jpg

post-32632-0-80257500-1563474783.jpgNot a tank but a modern-ish artillery piece, 155mm. On a trip back from Montana, my wife and I stopped in Kellogg Idaho. This piece was in a nice memorial for Idaho veterens. Their was also a nice plaque for Lt. Frank Reasoner; Medal of Honor awardee, Vietnam War.

"They'd rather be alive than free; poor dumb bastards."

Here is a picture taken at the entrance to the Kubinka army base in Russia in 2001. That is me on the right with two of my co-workers in front of a JS-3. Just down the road behind the tank is the main gate. Try as we might, we could not get them to let us in to see the armor collection. For those that may not know, Kubinka houses one of the largest collections of armor in the world. Back in 2001, the collection was not open to the public except with special permission, which we did not have. And bribes didn't work, we tried. The second picture was taken through the gate of some of the tanks that were outside. One is an M5 Stuart, so I hope this post will meet the requirements of this site since it is a U.S. tank.

It's my understanding that they have loosened up a bit, and the museum in now more accessible to tourists.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

It's my understanding that they have loosened up a bit, and the museum in now more accessible to tourists.

Yes, I have heard that, too. I sure wish it had been that way in 2001. That was probably my only chance to see it in person.

Mike B. in 'Bama

Hi folks, here's another display getting ready to be shipped back to the land of the big PX! I know this is not a tank, but I thought it might be interesting enough to post it here.

This halftrack was being stored in Buedingen, Germany - Armstrong Kaserne. It was in a horrible condidtion and looked like it was sitting outside in the very back of the motor pool for many year. Some guys from 1-1 Cav (back then part of 1st AD 4th Bde) restored it for display at the 4th Bde Motor Pool, Fliegerhorst Kasern Hanau. It was then transported to Fliegerhorst Kaserne, Hanau, Germany in January of 2006 and then (when 4th Bde inactivated) shipped (via Rotterdam) to the US and A.

Do you think it was from the old 3rd AD . I think they had a runner at the ROCK. We had a static M-24 in Gelnhausen

Kubinka is a great museum, wish I could visit some times. There is so many stuff books talked about to loose, but there it is....

There is one of the same tanks at a Veterans Memorial right outside FT Knox, KY also. Very rare tank.

One more:

An M24 Chaffee Tank on display somewhere on the reservation at Ft Polk.

post-34986-0-58924000-1572972207_thumb.jpg

Went to the California Bay area to watch the "game" with a college buddy. Meandered my way home north today and came across this old amtrac. Always nic to find a hidden gem.

post-9131-0-58752900-1580790690_thumb.jpg

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

Moderators, please fix :blink:

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
French - Daguet / Aconit

Moderators, please fix :blink:

Lets see if this works.

post-34986-0-20867100-1580794171_thumb.jpg

Right side up, but backwards. Typical for Marines. JK JK !!

French - Daguet / Aconit

attachicon.gifW2_Lend_...man_Tank.jpg

Here is a Lend Lease Sherman Tank restored and on display at Victory Park in Moscow, Russia. This park has an incredible array of USSR, German, Japanese WWII artifacts inside and out as well as the Scattered US Lend Lease vehicles etc.

I went to Victory Park in 2001 when I was working in Moscow, an absolutely amazing place! I have lots of pictures from my trip stored away somewhere.

Mike B. in 'Bama

Right side up, but backwards. Typical for Marines. JK JK !!

Ah it didn't work, I got tricked, when I save it it is in the correct view, but when posting it's reversed :lol:

Here is a Sherman tank found on the town square in Winchester, Randolph County, Indiana.

post-60-0-29641300-1583686265.jpg

A member of this fine site since December 16, 2006....Member # 60

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

...and showing the plate affixed to the front as well as "bumper markings".

post-60-0-89934700-1583686381_thumb.jpg

A member of this fine site since December 16, 2006....Member # 60

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Thats a nice Sherman!..............mike

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif