sgtdorango

Tanks as Monuments / Displays

Cool thread, I just saw this one. I have some from Texas to post.

Here is the first one. This is a rare M-103 Heavy Tank that is located at the city park in Sweetwater, TX. It's been there for many years, I always used to see kids crawling all over it. That all stopped since in 2008 or 2009, the city put a fence arounf it.

Here's the pics, before the fence:

post-5482-0-27082100-1452820183.jpg

And here is a photo from a few years ago with the fence now up :(

Also on display in the same park is a Lockheed T-33 and a US Army UH-1. Despite both birds being behind a fence, the Huey was heavily vandalized some years ago. Someone did some cosmetic repair to it but it looks pretty rough...

-Derek

post-5482-0-48753800-1452820262.jpg

One more for now, but I'll post more soon.

Here is a n M-60 on display in Big Spring, TX. They have a nice Vietnam Memorial there with an F-4, UH-1, and AH-1 in addition to this M-60.

-Derek

post-5482-0-09670000-1452820572.jpg

I shot this old beauty at Battleship Monument Park in Mobile Al. last weekend.

post-161556-0-50039600-1457976933.jpg

Is that gun mounted in the Sherman? If so, what the heck is it? It looks like a Soviet 76.2mm. Could Shermans even elevate the guns that far?

Not sure of the caliber of that gun, but the Canadian made Grizzly can elevate that high

I would say it's an imaginary caliber, since that's some kind of fabrication and not an actual tank gun. It appears this M4, which looks like an old range target, didn't actually have a main gun and they just made one.

See: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rnrobert/8075666752

The tank didn't even have the same treads on each side. Probably just recycled parts, but it's still really cool looking. There are some really fine Pattons there in great shape, but this sad sherman still stood proud, broken as it was.

Ray

Pilsen - Sherman tank - gen. Patton memorial

post-152466-0-95013200-1458764782.jpg

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

I shot this old beauty at Battleship Monument Park in Mobile Al. last weekend.

attachicon.gifTTT.jpg

interesting gun rotor assembly, looks like its not the normal M34/M34A1 but the one for the 105mm howitzer version. the Gun fitted is fantasy

One more for now, but I'll post more soon.

Here is a n M-60 on display in Big Spring, TX. They have a nice Vietnam Memorial there with an F-4, UH-1, and AH-1 in addition to this M-60.

-Derek

This looks like an M-60 A3

Just my 2 centavos

Wiley Winter, TNARNG (Ret)

ASMIC 1290
TMCA

OIF 06-07

In memoriam: 2d CPL Henry H. Winter
Co A, 2d Kentucky Infantry (Mounted), Buckner's Brigade, CSA

I remembered this photo I took at Ft Hood one day around mid late September 1980, maybe early October, when around the Main Post, don't remember why I had my camera with me, was able to find it and scan it, a M4A3E8, painted over as we see in a MERDC pattern camouflage. Also just noticed that the hull machingun has been faired over

post-34986-0-55169100-1496721753_thumb.jpg

Here is a Sherman tank from North Africa campaign that was later refitted for planned invasion of Japan. This is located at the Museum of WWII in Natick, MA.

post-154340-0-78135500-1496759310_thumb.jpg

We see Penna NG units on that plaque Kollektor, but where in Penna is this? Kane? Erie?

Great fotos by the way! And thanks for adding them.

Here's me taking a picture of my two boys last year at, the new York state military museum, they were setting the Sherman tank in the front of museum, it was sitting in the back of the old armory for years. My son's school is across the street, we just came from one of his track meetspost-11207-0-53045800-1496811417_thumb.jpg

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Here's me taking a picture of my two boys last year at, the new York state military museum, they were setting the Sherman tank in the front of museum, it was sitting in the back of the old armory for years. My son's school is across the street, we just came from one of his track meetsattachicon.gifrps20170606_225644_235.jpg

So that's what's going on, I thought that Sherman was trying to Bust That Barrier :lol:

Great picture

post-11207-0-53045800-1496811417.jpg