Tanks as Monuments / Displays

sgtdorango

I have been told that the muzzle of this King Tiger is actually of a Panther.

Don't know it this is true.

Some additional shots of this King Tiger:

Knigstiger1SSPZ-LaGleize1945.jpg

Abandoned in LaGleize (photo taken in 1945).

Knigstiger1SSPZ-LaGleize1951.jpg

Being placed at the spot where it is still sitting.

Next to the museum (photo taken in 1951).

Erwin

teufelhund said:
What do you think about this one???

La Gleize ( Belgium Bulge) King Tiger or Tiger II

4y9wqwn.jpg

T

Another kind of "kitten" ..... Panthers!

Panther2SSPZ-Grandmenil88.jpg

This is a Panther of the infamous 2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich" which was left behind or knocked out in the Manhay area.

It found a place in Grandménil and this is how she looked in 1988 (I even managed to sneak inside and there was still lots of interior left).

Panther2SSPZ-Grandmenil94.jpg

Same Panther in 1994.

Very nicely restored.

On to Houffalize .......

Panther116PZ-Houffalize1944.jpg

During the Ardennes Campaign, this Panther went into the river, killing some of its crew.

As far as I can believe, at the time of the taking of this photo, the bodies were still inside the panzer.

Panther116PZ-Houffalize1.jpg

In this photo taken in 1991, you can see the names of three crewmembers of this tank. They're NOT those who were killed.

The Panther was part of "Kampfgruppe Tebbe" of the 116. Panzer Division "Windhund".

Panther116PZ-Houffalize.jpg

This is how she looks in 1991.

Before, they painted her grey with huge Balkenkreutz (man, that was ugly!).

Erwin

Jeeper704 said:
I have been told that the muzzle of this King Tiger is actually of a Panther.

Don't know it this is true.

Some additional shots of this King Tiger:

Knigstiger1SSPZ-LaGleize1945.jpg

Abandoned in LaGleize (photo taken in 1945).

Knigstiger1SSPZ-LaGleize1951.jpg

Being placed at the spot where it is still sitting.

Next to the museum (photo taken in 1951).

Erwin

Yes the muzzle is coming from a Panther IV

In fact the barrel of the gun has been Us Army " demilitarised" with a MKII grenade or with a thermit exploding charge.

As far as I can remember, you have the whole story of this tank described in a "After the Battle" magazine from the years 80's when we used to be young and beautifull men

Teufelhund

Erwin

Here you are

http://www.december44.com/anglais/index.html

T

The Tiger without his muzzle in the 60's

4xlgaph.jpg

Teufelhund

Here a couple of tanks I found in France this last May,

post-1336-1185138416.jpg

M4 Sherman Utah Beach Normandy

post-1336-1185138634.jpg

M8 (French Army) Utah Beach Normandy

post-1336-1185138911.jpg

French Renault Tank (WW1)

post-1038-1185383854.jpg

Found last week outside the Armory in Tullahoma, TN. Technically it is not a tank but the M7 105mm Howitzer, SP built on a Sherman chassis. Common name: "The Priest"

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
The town square at Bastogne, the statue in front of that Sherman is Gen. McAuliffe

Yes Bastogne, just look at the above pics taken some weeks ago, and you wil see the same buildings in the background

Teufelhund

Hey Guys,

In my search for Sherman tank photos, here is something I ran across totally by accident. Photo sharing services. It is incredible how many everyday people have photos of tanks, TD's, jeeps, etc... they have taken on vacations, or like us, as a hobby interest. Just type in what your looking for in the search engine, and you get modern display vehicles from all over the world, and even period photos from collections. I added quite a few to my catalog yesterday just from this site. I'm going to check out a few more as I get time.

http://www.flickr.com/

Enjoy!!

Well, this is not exactly a tank, but I thought maybe you all would want to see it anyway. I took these pics today, this is in Plainview, Minnesota outside their local American Legion Post. I see tanks scattered around all over the state, here and there, and have stopped to take a gander at about every war memorial I can, but this is the first time I have ever seen one of these. It is a 1944 & 1945 dated 155mm / 8 inch towed howitzer. It's actually been well cared for over the years too. It looks like it is probably missing the trail pieces, which I think would have come out from the sides to brace it, but I am not 100% sure on that. I thought it was pretty neat to see though, so I thought I'd post it. I will try and post pics of tanks I have come across in my travels too, when I get a chance. Mike

post-440-1187059275.jpg

post-440-1187059292.jpg

• 1 month later...

Seeing as how this started in Deham, Mass- I swear I remember as a kid in the 1970's driving from Milton MA to Leachmere in Dedham that there was an FT-17 in front of a veteran's post. By the time I was old enough to actually know what it was, I could never find it.

I wonder what happened to it. Or if I was dreaming.

Kurt Barickman

There must have been some sort of program as there are numerous tanks outside of American Legions and VFWs all throughout rural Minnesota.

Kurt Barickman

It must have been a national program, there were several tanks (2 stuarts, 1 pershing , 1 M113 - left open at the end of my street) local to me(chicago) growing up. Most have been removed though, I know the Stuart that was in the town circle in Elmwood park was traded to a private collector for an artillery piece because someone in the towns government felt it was less threatening and less of a danger for kids climbing on.

My understadning of this- and if someone actually knows for sure please correct me, but I was always told that when the Army gave tanks, etc. to veterans halls or towns they were actually considered "on loan" and if the item was ever removed from display or to be gotten rid of, it was to be turned back over to the Army.

I have heard rumors of people who in good faith have bought items that made their way to the private market like this, and are technically considered stolen property as the Army was sup[posed ot get them back to recycle into displays at other places, or scrap, or whatever.

If anyone can confrim or deny this please post - as I said, I have only heard whispers and rumors of this.

The M-10 next to the Bastogne Museum is actually an Achilles (used by the British who changed the main gun).

A Panzerkampfwagen V or Panther is indeed standing in Houffalize and belonged to the 116. Panzer Division "Windhund".

Erwin

Laury Allison
My understadning of this- and if someone actually knows for sure please correct me, but I was always told that when the Army gave tanks, etc. to veterans halls or towns they were actually considered "on loan" and if the item was ever removed from display or to be gotten rid of, it was to be turned back over to the Army.

I have heard rumors of people who in good faith have bought items that made their way to the private market like this, and are technically considered stolen property as the Army was sup[posed ot get them back to recycle into displays at other places, or scrap, or whatever.

If anyone can confrim or deny this please post - as I said, I have only heard whispers and rumors of this.

I've heard that too and I think I may have even read it somewhere, but can't remember where. They did the same thing with airplanes too. I understand that the tanks, airplanes, cannons, whatever, are fixed so they can't be fired, flown, driven. So basically the engines are removed (along with any other sensitive items) and any weapons are made so they can't be fired. The hatches may even be welded shut.

I want to say that basically any organization can request one, but they are responsible for the freight charges. You probably would see more of them if more people knew about the program. Not sure where you would start to get one or if they would let you "borrow" one to put on your front lawn, but it could be a DRMO (Defense Reutilization Management Office) thing. Would be interesting to find out.

Laury

DwightPruitt

A friend of mine who is a full-time Major in the Maryland National Guard attached to the Military District of Washington was involved in releasing a few early M1 Abrams slicks into monuments. He said that there is a committee at the Pentagon that must approve all monument requests and that the requestee must agree to cover all costs in shipping and demilitarizing the vehicle- removing the breechblock, removing all of the fire control system, any radioactive materials, the powerpack and transmission and cleaning any hazardous materials from the tank. He said that the average cost was around $75,000 per vehicle, although that fee could be waived. He never mentioned a loan, and he talked like full ownership was given to the requestee. I'll ask for clarification next time I see him.

Apparently these early M1's were deemed surplus because of unrepairable hull damage. He said that almost all of the excess M551 AR/AAV and M60 series tanks were to be used as off shore reefs or spares for OPFOR vehicles at NTC and few if any remained for the monument program.

If anyone has any photos of M60A2 tanks as monuments, I'd be thrilled to see them.

Hi guys,

Here are pics of the German Tiger displayed at Vimoutier in Normandy France. it belonged to the 103rd heavy tanks batalion of the SS.

post-1523-1192130344.jpg

Other view

post-1523-1192130398.jpg

Seeing as how this started in Deham, Mass- I swear I remember as a kid in the 1970's driving from Milton MA to Leachmere in Dedham that there was an FT-17 in front of a veteran's post. By the time I was old enough to actually know what it was, I could never find it.

I wonder what happened to it. Or if I was dreaming.

The Stewart tank in the first post is located very close to where the old Leachmere store was back in the day.....by the way what is an FT-17?.....mike

Mike,

Here are a few FT-17's. They had different turret variations, but you get the idea. They were a hold over from WWI.

post-78-1192409393.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

here's an odd one from Ft. Lewis Wa.

I say odd because of the strange copula that rests on top of it.

PICT0076-1.jpg

PICT0077-1.jpg

PICT0078-1.jpg

PICT0079-1.jpg

PICT0080-1.jpg

When i first drove by it during an FTX, the strange copula caught my eye.

So I came back later and took pic's.

Any ideas as to the type of copula?

Ken