Tanks as Monuments / Displays

sgtdorango

This is an M-60A3. You can tell by the flat sides on the turret. The "Slick 60" had a rounded similar to the M-48.

Actually, the M60A1 and M60A3 had the same shape turret. The round-turret "Slick 60" is frequently called by armor enthusiasts the "M60A0," but I don't think the Army ever used that designation.

The distinguishing characteristic between the M60A1 and M60A3 is that the A1 had an optical range finder (hence the "rangefinder ears" that stick out the sides of the turret), while the A3 had a laser range finder. The only external difference is, on the A1 there are optical pieces in both ears, whereas on the A3 the left side ear is empty, and the laser rangefinder is in the right side ear, with a small external door that could be pad-locked in the closed or open position. This was added because the laser range finder was very powerful and could blind people, so if the tank was not on the range, the rangefinder door was padlocked in the closed position. If you look carefully, you can see that this is an A3, as the R/S ear has the door (closed) and the L/S ear does not.

SGTDorango - in the opening post to this great string you mentioned an M1 somewhere near Dedham. We'll be driving up for Christmas to Wellesley between storms. Promised to drive my mother around to look at lights, so if we happened on a tank or two it couldn't hurt ...

• 2 weeks later...

post-3673-1230405649.jpg

Here is a Lend Lease Sherman Tank restored and on display at Victory Park in Moscow, Russia. This park has an incredible array of USSR, German, Japanese WWII artifacts inside and out as well as the Scattered US Lend Lease vehicles etc.

Alt Berliner

HI Guys,

I am no longer in the Fort Lewis area.........

I am at the Aberdeen Provings Grounds!!!

So! If there are any Tanks that you would like to see from here.........

Just let me know.

Ken

Parked in front of the VFW in Zumbrota, Minnesota. Don't know what type it is but it is in nice shape....

post-5072-1231037307.jpg

Parked at the entrance to a military park in Arcadia, WI.

post-5072-1231037639.jpg

Alt Berliner
wstolpa said:
Parked in front of the VFW in Zumbrota, Minnesota. Don't know what type it is but it is in nice shape....

post-5072-1231037307.jpg

This is either an M60A1 or an M60A3.

Hope this helps.

Ken

wstolpa said:

post-5072-1231037639.jpg

This one I believe is an M48A5.

Ken

wstolpa said:

post-5072-1231037639.jpg

This is an M48A5

Alt Berliner said:
This is either an M60A1 or an M60A3.

Hope this helps.

Ken

This is probably an M60A1, since it does not have a thermal wrap on the main gun tube or a wind sensor mounted on the rear of the turret.

Here's an M7 Priest. Although not strictly a "tank", it does have treads and a gun so close enough for this thread :lol:

Located at the Montana ANG base in Kalispell ca 1988. The dude in the "pulpit" is a much younger me.

post-1208-1231569345.jpg

• 3 months later...
here's an odd one from Ft. Lewis Wa.

I say odd because of the strange copula that rests on top of it.

PICT0076-1.jpg

At one time there were two Sherman tanks sitting there. One was an earlier variant. One had half the interior cut away, I was told for filming of a movie. Both came with a Brigade of the 3rd AD when it came to Lewis from Germany to form the 3rd Brigade, 2nd ID. One was painted for 1/33 Armor Battalion, the other for 1/32. Both units were re-flagged for Cavalry when the Brigade transitioned into the very first Stryker Brigade. I was there during that transition and I think I have a photo of my WW2 Jeep (which I used to drive onto post when I was still active duty there) sitting between them. Lewis has plenty of other tanks all over the place, I need to get back to get some shots of the Sherman recovery vehicle sitting not far away from these photos. The Museum has plenty of stuff, including a ever-expanding collection of Iraqi war trophies, which I guess in another generation or two will be returned to their original owners…

Having been assigned to Aberdeen at one point, finding stuffed and mounted tanks was easier than finding someone wearing camouflage!

Here’s a shot of me that a GS civilian in our OBC class took of me, during the DS-Fix exercise when we had time to kill after lunch, over at the museum nearby. I used to keep a framed print of this in my office on active duty and watch people do double-takes then stare at it, wonder what I’m sitting in at the time:

HunGI.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hey guys. New to the list and got a few things.

post-8035-1254232828.jpg

Found this M60 in Northborough MA outside the American Legion yesterday. (9/28/09)

post-8035-1254233493.jpg

I know its not a tank but rare for these parts. German PaK 38 anti tank gun outside the Medway MA American Legion. Wheels have been cemented on the bottom and are stamped 1940. Wish I could rescue it from the elements.

ClaptonIsGod
Heres the other tank not far from my house parked outside of a VFW in Stoughton,MA

believe this is a Patton or M-60? not sure but very cool tank....mike

post-350-1184725439.jpg

Hey Mike, there's one in Hamilton, a Sherman and a Patton memorial.

• 2 weeks later...
sgtdorango said:
Take a pic!!!....would love to see it!.....mike

also, there's what I think is a Patton (?) over in Salem, will try and head over today.. hamilton is a bit far so don't know next time I'll be up there, its about a 30 min drive and don't know if I have time just for a pic. ill check online.

here you go..

post-4251-1255798712.jpg

also, don't know if I'll make it over, so here is one I found of the Salem tank, will try to get there and take additional ones.

post-4251-1255798810.jpg

• 1 year later...
airborne1968

This thread seems to have died off on 2009. Was it continued elsewhere? Here are some over rippened tanks and artillery (8") sitting in the sun in Hawaii in 2008.

post-4228-1311466650.jpg

Some from Ft. Riley, Kansas, M-10

post-444-1311803115.jpg

Ft Riley

post-444-1311803206.jpg

Ft. Riley

post-444-1311803742.jpg

Ft Riley

post-444-1311803834.jpg

One more Ft. Riley, couldn't resist the first tankers

post-444-1311803941.jpg

Patchcollector

This tank is at War Veteran’s Memorial Park, just east of the Bay Pines Veterans complex,in St.Petersburg Florida.According the the descriptive information there,

it’s a Walker Bulldog Tank, fitted with a 76mm gun, Model M41A3.When it was new, it went for $87,941! Gotta love the sign!"Aww,you mean we can't fire it off?" :lol:

The V.A complex right next to this park is one of the most beautiful in the country,the cemetery there is where my Dad is buried.

post-13386-1311807125.jpg

Hooviedude, the Hetzer is now IN the museum.

Sabrejet is correct; the one at the Bastogne Museum is an Achilles TD.

Erwin