Tanks as Monuments / Displays

sgtdorango

Backtheattack

Kubinka is a great museum, wish I could visit some times. There is so many stuff books talked about to loose, but there it is....

Skysoldier80

There is one of the same tanks at a Veterans Memorial right outside FT Knox, KY also. Very rare tank.

One more:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
easterneagle87

Went to the California Bay area to watch the "game" with a college buddy. Meandered my way home north today and came across this old amtrac. Always nic to find a hidden gem.

post-9131-0-58752900-1580790690_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifW2_Lend_...man_Tank.jpg

Here is a Lend Lease Sherman Tank restored and on display at Victory Park in Moscow, Russia. This park has an incredible array of USSR, German, Japanese WWII artifacts inside and out as well as the Scattered US Lend Lease vehicles etc.

I went to Victory Park in 2001 when I was working in Moscow, an absolutely amazing place! I have lots of pictures from my trip stored away somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Here is a Sherman tank found on the town square in Winchester, Randolph County, Indiana.

post-60-0-29641300-1583686265.jpg

...and showing the plate affixed to the front as well as "bumper markings".

post-60-0-89934700-1583686381_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

To add to the files---here is the M-41 Walker Bulldog in front of the Virginia National Guard HQ...it has the same chassis as the M-42 Duster we are refurbishing---

and when the Duster is finished our next project is this Sherman. Lots of work but well worth it.

s/f

Al

post-2235-0-85478600-1585698739_thumb.jpg

post-2235-0-80158300-1585698773_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2017 at 9:57 PM, BILL THE PATCH said:

Here's me taking a picture of my two boys last year at, the new York state military museum, they were setting the Sherman tank in the front of museum, it was sitting in the back of the old armory for years. My son's school is across the street, we just came from one of his track meetspost-11207-0-53045800-1496811417_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of it's platform being built. It is given the Bumper Code of 7th Army 191st Tank Battalion, A Company. The 191st Tk Bn was one of those Consolidated Tank Battalions formed in 1941 from existing National Guard Divisional Tank Companies (Stanton gives a February 1941 date).

A Company of the battalion being formed from the NYNG's 27th Division's Tank Company, the 27th Tank Company, the 191st  Tk Bn sees action in Italy as a 5th Army Troop Unit attached I think to the 3rd Infantry Division, it goes in in the invasion of the French Riviera now as a 7th Army Troop Unit where it is attached mostly to the 45th Infantry Division.

tank_nyng.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

A Walker Bulldog on the post at Fort Wainwright Alaska today, having been stationed there Tank looks unfamiliar as does the building it's in front of, the post having changed drastically since I was there 40 years ago, wow 40 years now!

tank wainwright.jpg

ttank_wainwright.jpg

57 minutes ago, patches said:

A Walker Bulldog on the post at Fort Wainwright Alaska today, having been stationed there Tank looks unfamiliar as does the building it's in front of, the post having changed drastically since I was there 40 years ago, wow 40 years now!

tank wainwright.jpg

ttank_wainwright.jpg

Just this afternoon I was trying to remember something that happened a while back. It was quite a shock when I realized it couldn't have been less that 34 years ago. Enough to make a guy feel old. As of all the aches and pains and gray hair didn't do that already.

Mikie

The Rooster
13 hours ago, mikie said:

Just this afternoon I was trying to remember something that happened a while back. It was quite a shock when I realized it couldn't have been less that 34 years ago. Enough to make a guy feel old. As of all the aches and pains and gray hair didn't do that already.

Mikie

I was thinking today how gray my hair is... the aches and pains.... damdest thing about it is, I dont really feel old.... Yet.... lol lol :-)

I was in AIT 40 years ago at this time.

22 hours ago, mikie said:

Mikie

Well fortunately for me I don't have that problem yet, as a matter of fact this week alone I did a detailed online search of two guys who were among my closest buddies, one at Hood in The Cav, and one in Alaska, turns out to my stunned sorrow that both have passed, I am right now in contact on Facebook with the son of the first who I remember as he was a baby and I played with him at my buddy's off post apartment in Killeen and the widow (got married a few years ago)of the last who sent me a few photos of him, Elton Dean O'Kelly of Flint Michigan, he was at Benning the exact same time I was but in a different battalion, he goes to the 7th Division at Ord before going to Alaska, and arrived literally the a couple of days after me.

His AIT Portrait at Benning, March 1980, she shared with me,

o'kelly.jpg

1 minute ago, patches said:

Well fortunately for me I don't have that problem yet, as a matter of fact this week alone I did a detailed online search of two guys who were among my closest buddies, one at Hood in The Cav, and one in Alaska, turns out to my stunned sorrow that both have passed, I am right now in contact on Facebook with the son of the first who I remember as he was a baby and I played with him at my buddy's off post apartment in Killeen and the widow (got married a few years ago)of the last who sent me a few photos of him, Elton Dean O'Kelly of Flint Michigan, he was at Benning the exact same time I was but in a different battalion, he goes to the 7th Division at Ord before going to Alaska, and arrived literally the same day as me.

His AIT Portrait at Benning, March 1980, she shared with me,

o'kelly.jpg

Here we are at a on post housing get together before hitting the town one December 1981 evening, the Married Quarters of one of our Fire Team Leader E-5s, even my Squad Leader is here LOL LOL,, that's O'Kelly in the Light Blue Sweater with White stripes.me in the Wine colored Sweater, the sitting guy is another buddy from the 2nd Platoon, a guy last name De Marco from Stoughton Mass.

elton m0002.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

An old destyoed M4 Tank as a monument somewhere in Italy, it's treads from the one side welded upright and fashioned into a cross. No ID on where this is or even a hint on unit tank was in unfortunately and this was the only photo I found so far.       

tmemorial_italy.jpg

memorial italy.jpeg

5 hours ago, patches said:

An old destyoed M4 Tank as a monument somewhere in Italy, it's treads from the one side welded upright and fashioned into a cross. No ID on where this is or even a hint on unit tank was in unfortunately and this was the only photo I found so far.       

tmemorial_italy.jpg

memorial italy.jpeg

Free Polish monument near Cassino, the bronze polish eagles at top of track were stolen years ago- Pulk 4. Pancerny Skorpion (4th Armored regiment Skorpions)

The memorial which was unveiled on 18 May 1946 is built from remnants of a Sherman tank commanded by Lt. Ludomir Białecki. He and his crew were killed at this spot on 12 May 1944 when a mine exploded. The memorial was designed by Lt. Władysław Kuźniarz, artist and sculptor.
According to the inscription on the front plaque, the memorial is dedicated to the "HEROES OF THE 4TH TH ARMOURED REGIMENT WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES MARCHING TO POLAND". 

The rear plaque bears the inscription: "IT WAS HERE THAT, ON 12 MAY 1944, THE FIRST SOLDIERS OF THE ARMOURED FORCES NEWLY FORMED IN THE EAST, FELL IN BATTLE.
2LT. BIAŁECKI, LUDOMIR
CPL. AMBROŻEJ, EDWARD
CPL. BOGDAJEWICZ, EUGENIUSZ
CPL. KARCEWICZ, BOLESŁAW
CPL. NIECKOWSKI, JÓZEF"

17 hours ago, Linedoggie said:

Free Polish monument near Cassino, the bronze polish eagles at top of track were stolen years ago- Pulk 4. Pancerny Skorpion (4th Armored regiment Skorpions)

The memorial which was unveiled on 18 May 1946 is built from remnants of a Sherman tank commanded by Lt. Ludomir Białecki. He and his crew were killed at this spot on 12 May 1944 when a mine exploded. The memorial was designed by Lt. Władysław Kuźniarz, artist and sculptor.
According to the inscription on the front plaque, the memorial is dedicated to the "HEROES OF THE 4TH TH ARMOURED REGIMENT WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES MARCHING TO POLAND". 

The rear plaque bears the inscription: "IT WAS HERE THAT, ON 12 MAY 1944, THE FIRST SOLDIERS OF THE ARMOURED FORCES NEWLY FORMED IN THE EAST, FELL IN BATTLE.
2LT. BIAŁECKI, LUDOMIR
CPL. AMBROŻEJ, EDWARD
CPL. BOGDAJEWICZ, EUGENIUSZ
CPL. KARCEWICZ, BOLESŁAW
CPL. NIECKOWSKI, JÓZEF"

Thanks for the update.

Here's a small page on it with a few more photos.

http://cmpi.fondazionemm2c.org/en/pomnik-4-pulku-skorpion-2.html

• 2 months later...

This is located in front of the VFW in Great Falls, MT. Not one I was familiar with, I had to do a google search to ID.

M114 CRV (Command and Reconnaissance Vehicle). Underpowered, lacking effective crew protection, and prone to mechanical failures, it was pulled from service early.

Only about 600 were delivered to the Army. 

Image(4).jpeg

Image(3).jpeg

18 minutes ago, rd12 said:

This is located in front of the VFW in Great Falls, MT. Not one I was familiar with, I had to do a google search to ID.

M114 CRV (Command and Reconnaissance Vehicle). Underpowered, lacking effective crew protection, and prone to mechanical failures, it was pulled from service early.

Only about 600 were delivered to the Army. 

Image(4).jpeg

Image(3).jpeg

Like it's sister, the M-113 - both were RPG magnets. They offered crew protection from the rain.....maybe.

• 4 months later...