Tanks as Monuments / Displays

sgtdorango

Kinda looks like its off a Vietnam era M60????

I don't recall seeing anything like that in any of my references on the M60 (Patton). think.gif

They all had inclose M85 .50 cal MG(s) in the copula.

It might be off an M551 Sheridan? think.gif

Or,It does kinda looks like the one on the M114 APC from that era.

But it is only a vague resemblance. :unsure:

I made a model of a Sheridan many moons ago and that might just be where its from, seems very familiar to me....Im sure some of the armor guys will recognize it as soon as they see it.....mike

The cupola isn't from any standard M60 series tank or M551 AR/AAV. I don't think it's a M48 Israeli Urdan cupola either. I'm not sure if any of the M4 series had this type of cupola- sometimes organizational maintenance comes up with some strange things. There used to be a couple of M48A1 static memorials around the Ft Knox area that had M60A2 turrets popped on them. There was a lot of speculation how this came to pass, as in unpublished variants, but the simpler explanation was that after the A-Deuce had been taken out of service the hulls had been converted to AVLB and some turrets were surplus. They were mated to M48 gasser hulls to fill requests for static displays.

The cupola isn't from any standard M60 series tank or M551 AR/AAV. I don't think it's a M48 Israeli Urdan cupola either. I'm not sure if any of the M4 series had this type of cupola- sometimes organizational maintenance comes up with some strange things. There used to be a couple of M48A1 static memorials around the Ft Knox area that had M60A2 turrets popped on them. There was a lot of speculation how this came to pass, as in unpublished variants, but the simpler explanation was that after the A-Deuce had been taken out of service the hulls had been converted to AVLB and some turrets were surplus. They were mated to M48 gasser hulls to fill requests for static displays.

I'd like to pic's of that.....

an M48 with the copula from an M60A2.

Any out there?

• 3 weeks later...
A friend of mine who is a full-time Major in the Maryland National Guard attached to the Military District of Washington was involved in releasing a few early M1 Abrams slicks into monuments. He said that there is a committee at the Pentagon that must approve all monument requests and that the requestee must agree to cover all costs in shipping and demilitarizing the vehicle- removing the breechblock, removing all of the fire control system, any radioactive materials, the powerpack and transmission and cleaning any hazardous materials from the tank. He said that the average cost was around $75,000 per vehicle, although that fee could be waived. He never mentioned a loan, and he talked like full ownership was given to the requestee. I'll ask for clarification next time I see him.

Apparently these early M1's were deemed surplus because of unrepairable hull damage. He said that almost all of the excess M551 AR/AAV and M60 series tanks were to be used as off shore reefs or spares for OPFOR vehicles at NTC and few if any remained for the monument program.

If anyone has any photos of M60A2 tanks as monuments, I'd be thrilled to see them.

This may be a little off subject, but in Issue 110 (August, 2005) of Military Vehicle magazine, they discuss the 326th military history detachment. It would seem that their job is to figure out which artifacts found in war zones are of enough historical value to ship back to the states to war museums. They also demilitirize them and de contaminate them. The Article is called "Historic MVs Discovered in Afghanistan", by U.S. Army Pfc. Christina Carde.

levi

The Pennsylvania Military Museum at Boalsburg (in central PA near State College) has several tanks and artillery pieces on display outside. Throughout the eastern and midwest of the USA you see tanks on display in many small towns - in my dad's hometown of Philipsburg PA there's one at a public playground. You hardly ever see them in the western US.

Here's one at Boalsburg:

tank.jpg

sorry bout the pic, i should have taken one when i was there.

this sherman is in the Waiouru Army museum, in New Zealand, the thing that cought my eye was the 2 big trays underneath filled with what looks like kitty litter, they were catching the oil that was dripping out, im pretty sure its not just a static display, i think its all still intact, the ball machine gun felt like it was all still there when i grabbed it and moved it around lol

P.S on a side note i didnt see a fixed bail or front seam US M1 helmet while i was there either, only post ww2 repaints, might have to see about getting/giving them one lol

shermantanktn.jpg

Here is one that is outside the National Guard Armory in Fairbanks. I talked to the gentleman in the office, and he told me that the Base commander "aquired it" from the Guard as a monument in '72 or '73. He said it was in use by the Alaska National Guard in the sixties.

post-2011-1195540428.jpg

post-2011-1195540441.jpg

There are a few more on Ft. Wainright. I'll just have to come up with a reason to get on Post.

Levi

• 2 weeks later...
The Pennsylvania Military Museum at Boalsburg (in central PA near State College) has several tanks and artillery pieces on display outside. Throughout the eastern and midwest of the USA you see tanks on display in many small towns - in my dad's hometown of Philipsburg PA there's one at a public playground. You hardly ever see them in the western US.

Here's one at Boalsburg:

tank.jpg

Although not in pristine condition, I always thought the display of this Sherman was very haunting. As you can see it is in a wooded setting outside the museum. When I went to Penn State I drove past this tank several times at various times of the day. Depending on the season and the amount of daylight, it presented a very evocative image.

• 1 month later...

I dug this out of an old album. This is a late version Sherman that was turned into a monument at a VFW in Selingsgrove PA, just south of Williamsport on the north center portion of the state.

We used to pass through this town driving from Philadelphia to Niagara Falls NY. After spotting it the first time, I used to hoot and hollar until my Dad finally stopped one day so we could take a closer look.

The photo is dated 1966, and as you can see the vehicle looks pretty well preserved up to that point.

Sherman_Selingsgrove_PA_66_b.JPG

This is the same one in St. Mere like on the first page but from a different angle

P1010528.jpg

And this one can be found at Utah beach next to the museum

P1010525.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

Beautifully restored & preserved M-24 Chaffee outside of US Army Museum, Fort Derussy, Honolulu (Waikiki), Hawaii

If you're ever on Oahu, this is an outstanding museum filled with weapons, medals & militaria. Not to be missed.

I may wander up to Schofield Barracks in a few weeks and shoot some of the Tanks on display up there.

M_24_Chaffee.jpg

Bastogne Historical center

100_2434.jpg

Bastogne

100_2588.jpg

Brussels Army Museum

Firefly

100_2833.jpg

Mk IV

100_2842.jpg

Chu Chi, Vietnam.

PA280103.jpg

Stavelot halftrack

100_2228.jpg

Vielsalm M-4

100_2322.jpg

While not quite set up as monuments per say, the following tanks are on display at the George S. Patton Memorial Museum, in Chiriaco, California. Not to be confused with the General George Patton Museum in Fort Knox Kentucky.

post-2011-1202282536.jpg

post-2011-1202282552.jpg

post-2011-1202282568.jpg

post-2011-1202282667.jpg

post-2011-1202282681.jpg

post-2011-1202282690.jpg

A pretty good musuem for the most part. Definietly worth the $4 admission fee.

levi

I'd like to pic's of that.....

an M48 with the copula from an M60A2.

Any out there?

I've got a couple of the m48 hull/M60A2 turret lashup. I'll dig them out and post them ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

General Albin F Irzyk was the commander of 8th Tank Battalion, 4th Armored Division (then Major).

He wrote a book called "He rode up front for Patton".

A very good person if I may say so.

Erwin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest waltusma

June 7th of this past summer. I guess the paint was recent. I remember other pictures had a camo paint job. Not sure if this was just a primer or what, but it doesn't look very good.

Let's hope it is the base coat of paint before applying camouflage colors.

If not, then they really messed up a good piece of history.

Erwin

• 1 month later...