How Do You Remove Dents From Metal Sword/Bayonet Scabbards?

AirMechanic

AirMechanic

Is there a way to remove dents from sword/bayonet scabbards? I have a bayonet that will not slide down into the scabbard all the way because there is a dent there. Has anyone ever tried removing one of these dents before?

Make a WOODEN slat-like form that you can force, pound down the throat, Start with one that may be UNDERsized, and if it's too small, make a bigger one. Pine may be too soft or brittle. I saw this done long ago with CW scabbards, and the forms were fashioned from chair slats or other pieces of hardwood furniture.

Make a WOODEN slat-like form that you can force, pound down the throat, Start with one that may be UNDERsized, and if it's too small, make a bigger one. Pine may be too soft or brittle. I saw this done long ago with CW scabbards, and the forms were fashioned from chair slats or other pieces of hardwood furniture.

Regarding dents in sword scabbards, especially Civil War period: Some were put there intentionally to keep the blade from rattling in the scabbard. This may be old information here, but wanted to point that out. I feel those dents are desirable and should not be removed. I have an 1860 that has the front of the hand guard bent down and I originally thought of straightening it. However, over time I have learned that this was done intentionally by the soldiers to grab or hold the blade of an opponents sword. Regards,

Captainofthe7th

I've used a similar method to remove dents from trumpets. At the time I actually used a drumstick (and brass is a bit softer) but it is still a great method.

Rob