Real WWII CS-34 (Linemans) Pouch??

carbinekid

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if any of you can post some pictures of a real WWII production leather CS-34 linemans pouch. I know that these pouches are still produced, or at least were up until recently. I've seen them with and without markings on the outside flap.

I'm wondering what a true WWII produced piece looks like. Markings or no, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

This one was used by a local National Guardsman in Korea, but I believe it is WW2 production.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

The one I have looks just like that. The major question I have is the LTD snaps. When did that style with the very pronounced "LIFT THE DOT" marking first come into use? I son't ever recall seeing those on anything but postwar gear.

Kyle

It is not impossible that this is later production in that the known use was in 1951, so it could have been made in the late 40s until 1950.

The one I've got here on my desktop--supposedly WWII--is much the same as the one Bayonetman has posted. Mine has lighter leather forming the two pockets, and the LTD snaps are marked STAR * PULL.

I just spotted this one on ebay...

kyle

The LTD snaps on this one are the same as mine. Much nicer condition than mine too . . .

Jim

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...9989&st=320

Follow the link and look at post # 326 & 327. By Vietnam those pouches were ink stamped on the back rather than being stamped into the leather on the front. I would be surprised if there was a new order for these pouches during the Korean War. I suspect there were plenty left over from WW2.

As also forgot to add that a my friends father was issued a CS-34 kit in the 90's when he went to Somalia and it looks just like mine and the first pouch posted, except his looks basically new.

Confusing...

Kyle

I have to amend my last post, my friends Dad used the pouch in Somalia but, it was actually originally issued to him in 1967 when he was stationed in Germany, my bad.

Kyle

I have to amend my last post, my friends Dad used the pouch in Somalia but, it was actually originally issued to him in 1967 when he was stationed in Germany, my bad.

Kyle

I suspect there are lots of these still around from WWII. When things were warming up for what became the first Gulf War, one of my brothers was stationed in Germany. He somehow "acquired" a CS-34 including a pair of TL-13 pliers (not TL-13A) and a late-war TL-29. As best we could tell the kit was new . . . and he never did trade it to me.

Jim

Hello Kyle, a french seller has been selling for the last few weeks a lot of those pouches complete with knife and pliers, no doubt they came out of french army storage but they are genuine WW2 US made. If you want to check, you can find him on ebay.fr and his name is j-gmilitary. He is selling the CS-34 leather model and the CS-35A waterproof web model. I have not been able to buy one up to now but will certainly do it soon. Hope this help, Laurent M.

Was the CS-35A Waterproof Model around in WW2????

Hello Johan, I think so. Perhaps we will have to ask Robin for some help on this question...?

• 1 month later...
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...9989&st=320

Follow the link and look at post # 326 & 327. By Vietnam those pouches were ink stamped on the back rather than being stamped into the leather on the front. I would be surprised if there was a new order for these pouches during the Korean War. I suspect there were plenty left over from WW2.

Hello Craig,

The historical images indicate that during WWII both variations of that pouch were manufactured: with smooth front flap (i.e. ink stamped back as you mentioned) and front flap stamped as can be seen in the images posted. The question is which type of stamping on front flap was applied during WWII - "Pouch, CS-34" or "Pouch, Type CS-34".

Regards

Greg

When did that style with the very pronounced "LIFT THE DOT" marking first come into use?

Before WWII. Craig posted pre-war ads and drawings of the LTDs stamped with "LIFT THE DOT".

• 2 weeks later...

Real? Fake? Marking left off in error? Commercial Item?

The company still exists and makes lineman's products yet today, but as far as I know, not this pouch.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

• 8 months later...

Here are some photos of one these pouches that was recovered along with a number of other relics from the Hurtgen Forest. So, the marking "POUCH, CS-34 SIGNAL CORPS U.S.A." was definitely WWII.

CS-34fromHurtgen.jpg

CS-34fromHurtgen1.jpg

CS-34fromHurtgen2.jpg

The pic of that pouch without "type" disappeared so I can post mine. It's mint unissued but surely old cause verdigris broke LTDs. WWII era?

post-67-1295078318.jpg

post-67-1295078329.jpg

post-67-1295078349.jpg

Hmmm, this is interesting. A verified WWII example does not have the word "TYPE" and it lacks the gap between the word "POUCH" and "CS-34". I see that the pouch shown above has a gap between "POUCH" and "CS-34". My mint example fresh out the 1952 box has the word "TYPE".

kyle

Johan Willaert

Three variations from my collection. The mint pouches were obtained from shows, while the used example was given to me by a local who couldn't remember where he got it...

Note the difference in markings and different types of LTD (large dimple and small dimple marked Lift The Dot and one marked Klikit Pull with a star)

post-92-1295172617.jpg

Johan Willaert
Three variations from my collection. The mint pouches were obtained from shows, while the used example was given to me by a local who couldn't remember where he got it...

Top: Marked GRATON & KNIGHT, WORCESTER MASS with Signal Corps Acceptance Stamps

Middle: Unmarked but not the marking on the LTD fasteners...

Bottom: Unmarked

post-92-1295172713.jpg

The pic of that pouch without "type" disappeared so I can post mine. It's mint unissued but surely old cause verdigris broke LTDs. WWII era?

Wow. Great illustration of the effect of verdigris!