U.S. Uniforms with Fourragère

Ricardo

Had posted this earlier.Hanford McNiders WW1 9th Infantry,2nd Division uniform

RD

post-342-1251664447.jpg

post-342-1251664512.jpg

Ron,

Not a collector of WWI uniforms, but this is one sweet uniform!

Stinger Gunner USMC

I must have missed this one before! This is one amazing uniform. A DSC, am I seeing 3 silver star citations?, the Legion of Honour and a Croix de Guerre w/ 3 palms. This guy must have been right up there with Sgt York!

Had posted this earlier.Hanford McNiders WW1 9th Infantry,2nd Division uniform

RD

post-342-1251664447.jpg

post-342-1251664512.jpg

Holy cow Ron, this one deserves a thread of its own! I just looked at hiw wikipedia bio, just incredible!

I must have missed this one before! This is one amazing uniform. A DSC, am I seeing 3 silver star citations?, the Legion of Honour and a Croix de Guerre w/ 3 palms. This guy must have been right up there with Sgt York!

Stinger

Thanks for the comments and for looking.Here is a thread on his uniforms.The story that followed him around was he was one or the most decorated officer next to Pershing(I think it was more of a local spin!!!)He was reportedly the first general officer wounded in the Pacific in WW2 and I believe he was awarded a 3rd DSC for WW2

Heres the link

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...amp;hl=MacNider

Holy cow Ron, this one deserves a thread of its own! I just looked at hiw wikipedia bio, just incredible!

Beast,

Thanks for the link.Will have to check it out.He did have a very intresting life.Started out with the Iowa Guard and saw Mex border service and an intresting between the wars career.

RD

I was going through a long-forgotten box over the weekend and found a modern Fourragère still in the issue wrapper. I’m sure this was the one I was handed when I in-processed into 3rd Brigade, 2nd ID in 1998. I’m not sure why I never opened it, maybe I had another one elsewhere that I used instead. I always thought it was odd the way we wore them on dress blues (I never wore my Class A’s in any unit functions the whole time I was there but wore the blues often), we all safety-pinned a pocket button to the left shoulder where one would be on a Class A jacket and hung it from that.

Hello!!!

I have this medal: a Croix de Guerre with Fourragere.

p1000789m.jpg

On Hanford McNiders WW1 uniform are a Croix de guerre with 3 palms and a fourragere, Is possible he receive this medal with cord and 3 palms (All on the full medal to wear on parade dress uniform)? Or he receive the medal with palms and appart the shoulder cord??

I don't know if I explain me well.

Regards

Here is one from my collection with two Fourragère, one French on Belgian.

Could you please post a couple of close-up photo's of both fourrageres when you get time.

Thanks, Sean

• 1 month later...
Michael J. Matzer

Hello guys!

A just wonder how can I recognize wartime Fourragére from reproduction? Is there any markings or anything? The wartime looks more faded comparing to postwar and probably made from different material, but is there anything else? I´m looking for the french fourragére to put on my ww2 Ike jacket, but donť want to mess it with the repro one. So thanks for your advice!

Stinger Gunner USMC
Hello guys!

A just wonder how can I recognize wartime Fourragére from reproduction? Is there any markings or anything? The wartime looks more faded comparing to postwar and probably made from different material, but is there anything else? I´m looking for the french fourragére to put on my ww2 Ike jacket, but donť want to mess it with the repro one. So thanks for your advice!

The difference is material. WWI or II will be a wool cord maybe a cotton/wool blend but modern cords are poly/cotton synthetic material. they feel silky and appear shiny.

Also, cords with the extra two ropes were not produced post WWII. they are IIRC only for members who actually served in the unit at time of award, and not for guys who joined after the fact, which makes since since they are not produced with the two extra cords today.

• 1 year later...

post-2163-1293414533.jpg

Hello Eveyone, I thought I would add a few of the uniforms with Fourragere's from my collection. If you notice on this one the 1st Division patch is outlined in Infantry hat piping. The right shoulder has a 94th patch that is piped the same way.

post-2163-1293414953.jpg

Another 1st Division Ike, pretty much everything on this one is theater made. The ribbon bar is sewn on as well as the PUC, the CIB and DI's are German made screwbacks. This guy was obviously on occupation duty.

post-2163-1293415241.jpg

3rd Armored Division 36th Armored Infantry Regiment. The first battalion was the only one to get the PUC, and you dont see a whole lot of Armored Division Ike's with Fourragere's

post-2163-1293415533.jpg

A real nice 3rd Division 7th Regiment Ike, the EAME ribbon has 1 silver star and 2 bronze to go along with a invasion arrowhead. Its kind of a bummer that I cant put a name to it...

post-2163-1293415934.jpg

Here's a 9th and 12th AF Ike with 64th Fighter Wing DI's. If you notice the shoulder patches are outlined with green zig-zag material and the collar brass is Signal Corps. although i cant ID this one, I would say the original owner was in the 439th Signal Construction Battalion. The EAME ribbon on this one has 6 bronze stars on it, and the owner at some point changed the epaulet and cuff buttons over to brass ones off of a 4 pocket jacket. Its really kind of cool..

• 4 weeks later...

Excellent tread with a lot of incredible uniforms :w00t:

Thanks for share them guys :thumbsup:

And Greg, your dad uniform are just incredible! A great family item ;)

Thierry

Here's a few from the "Museum". All are individual Awards.

Navy Corpsman w/6th Marine Regiment

His WW1 Marine Uniform, His WW2 Marine Corps Uniform

Rare Naval Uniform with Fourragere - All of these are from older posts

post-3422-1295647296.jpg