U.S. Uniforms with Fourragère

Ricardo

A question about the French WWII Croix de Guerre fourragère: Is this fourragère an equivalent of ribbon bar over left pocket? I have the impression that many times the US WWII servicemen wore CdG fourragère without classic ribbon bar over the pocket? Am I wrong?

58 minutes ago, Gregory said:

A question about the French WWII Croix de Guerre fourragère: Is this fourragère an equivalent of ribbon bar over left pocket? I have the impression that many times the US WWII servicemen wore CdG fourragère without classic ribbon bar over the pocket? Am I wrong?

The French fourragere to the Croix de Guerre signifies two unit awards of the Croix de Guerre. Ribbons are supposed to only be worn by individuals who received Croix de Guerre for individual acts of gallantry. Units that received additional awards of the Croix de Guerre after award of the fourragere received the fourragere to the Medalle Militaire. The Belgian fourragere was awarded to units who were cited twice in the "Orders of the Day of the Belgian Army." 

Soldiers should not wear a ribbon to denote a unit award, but it happened A LOT.

Allan

One more question: From what date this WWII CdG fourragère was authorized to wear it on the US servicemen's uniforms?

2 hours ago, Gregory said:

One more question: From what date this WWII CdG fourragère was authorized to wear it on the US servicemen's uniforms?

Typically, a representative of the French Government would make a formal presentation of the fourragere to the unit by affix the cords to the unit colors. They would authorize the award effective that date. The US military would reciprocate by authorizing wear of the foreign award on the same date. 

To give you some perspective, the French Government awarded the French fourragere to the 82nd Airborne in October of 1945, and the unit began wearing the cord immediately. The Belgians awarded their fourragere a little bit later, but the citations for the Belgian awards were not published in the Belgian "Orders of the Day" until 1950.

Allan

• 8 months later...

Hello All,

Here is a recently acquired example from my collection.  It came from the estate of C. Clement "Clem" Coats (May 31, 1922 - May 6, 2016).  I am very curious as to the "story" this uniform "tells," as I have not been able to find much on the trooper's service history.  I believe the family kept the ribbons and Jump Wings/CIB - what would be a likely guess as to ribbons and devices, since I can't find his records? Any color commentary would be great appreciated, as I wish to have it accompany the uniform on display.  Sorry for the poor photo, as this is all I have right now, as I am temporarily separated from my collection, but, could provide more soon, if needed.

Thank you,

Eric

IMG_4152.JPG.bb5f5ef989633901df110de46ddce77d.JPG

6 hours ago, dc9 said:

Hello All,

Here is a recently acquired example from my collection.  It came from the estate of C. Clement "Clem" Coats (May 31, 1922 - May 6, 2016).  I am very curious as to the "story" this uniform "tells," as I have not been able to find much on the trooper's service history.  I believe the family kept the ribbons and Jump Wings/CIB - what would be a likely guess as to ribbons and devices, since I can't find his records? Any color commentary would be great appreciated, as I wish to have it accompany the uniform on display.  Sorry for the poor photo, as this is all I have right now, as I am temporarily separated from my collection, but, could provide more soon, if needed.

Thank you,

Eric

IMG_4152.JPG.bb5f5ef989633901df110de46ddce77d.JPG

Your amazing uniform has been put together using 1950's chevrons. The Orange Lanyard is not vintage either.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan H. said:

Your amazing uniform has been put together using 1950's chevrons. The Orange Lanyard is not vintage either.

Allan

Allan,

Here is his 2nd uniform.  Note the overseas stripes and laundry marks in the neckline different from the first.  I have the Fourragères separated.  Is this one also a "put together"?  When I get home I can post more pictures.  I am genuinely interested in what story it is trying to tell.

Slide1.jpg.ed66ed5c06fb2ffb13ca5368baa8f570.jpg

On 12/31/2021 at 2:35 PM, OSUbeliever said:

I'm looking for some feedback on these. Thoughts on WWII-made or post-war production? 

Screenshot_20211230-122047_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-122223_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-122235_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20211230-122246_eBay.jpg

.....I have one of the predominately green ones. Spent a year with the 2/7 Cav, 1st Cav Div in 1981. It was authorized to wear.

1 hour ago, dc9 said:

Allan,

Here is his 2nd uniform.  Note the overseas stripes and laundry marks in the neckline different from the first.  I have the Fourragères separated.  Is this one also a "put together"?  When I get home I can post more pictures.  I am genuinely interested in what story it is trying to tell.

Slide1.jpg.ed66ed5c06fb2ffb13ca5368baa8f570.jpg

What I can tell from this photo is that your closet is pretty dark.

Allan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
easterneagle87

Picked this up today. Decent Vietnam 23rd Inf Div Americal uniform. Is the red shoulder cord for Artillery or Engineer? The Green/yellow Fourragère, is it for the Vietnamese Military Merit Unit award? I thought that was more yellow than green. Good size 44L. Nice cut edge patch.     

IMG_7231.jpg

IMG_7233.jpg

IMG_7232.jpg

8 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

Picked this up today. Decent Vietnam 23rd Inf Div Americal uniform. Is the red shoulder cord for Artillery or Engineer? The Green/yellow Fourragère, is it for the Vietnamese Military Merit Unit award? I thought that was more yellow than green. Good size 44L. Nice cut edge patch.     

Your uniform has a red branch cord for field artillery. As I recall, these were not authorized, but were worn when ok'd by local command. The yello and green fourragere is for the french Medalle Militaire. Most units awarded this fourragere were units of the 1st and second infantry divisions that received these unit awards in WWI and WWII. I am not aware of any units of the 23rd Division that were entitled to wear this honor.

Allan