MY U.S. FLIGHT HELMET DISPLAY

birdman

duarte1223

Nice collection there! I'd like to get some rigger modified USN flight helmets, but the prices can be outrageous. Any closeups of some rigger mod helmets?

Adam

Birdman, I had the opportunity to view the flight helmet collection on display at Hill AFB Museum recently. You need to check it out sometime.

I will 2nd Ricardo's statement: "WoW!!!! Great collection!!!"

That is a very nice collection you have and they do look great with the mikes and goggles on them, congratulations, Ray

Very nice collection. Hey, what squadron patch is on your A-2?? It looks like the 14th Recon Sq, but can't tell for sure. How about a closeup?

Dave

Nice collection there! I'd like to get some rigger modified USN flight helmets, but the prices can be outrageous. Any closeups of some rigger mod helmets?

Adam

THANK YOU GUY'S FOR THE KIND WORD'S. ADAM HERE ARE MY NAVY RIGGER MODIFIED HELMET'S. THEY ARE MY FAVORITE'.S

post-619-1183419691.jpg

post-619-1183419721.jpg

post-619-1183419777.jpg

post-619-1183419804.jpg

post-619-1183419886.jpg

Very nice collection. Hey, what squadron patch is on your A-2?? It looks like the 14th Recon Sq, but can't tell for sure. How about a closeup?

Dave

DAVE,THE PATCH IS A REPRO. IT'S THE 548TH. BOMBER SQUADRON ATTACHED TO THE 385TH. BOMB GROUP, 8TH. AIR FORCE.

birdman,

Wonderful collection!

But... I hate to be the one to say this but did you know that styrofoam off-gasses formaldehyde, ammonia, and hydrocarbons that can be really bad for old cloth and leather?

I mean, you have some really, really primo helmets there sitting on styrofoam heads.

I have a buddy who collects headgear, and he swears by the hollow glass heads. They are only a little more expensive than the styrofoam ones (and nowhere near as expensive as the museum grade ones).

Anyway, great collection!

I may have to dig out my WW1 ones now!

Chris

vintageproductions

Lary-The helmets look great. If you go for the hollow glass heads Pier One Imports just started carrying them again. I think they are around $15.00 each for the clear ones.

Bob

birdman,

Wonderful collection!

But... I hate to be the one to say this but did you know that styrofoam off-gasses formaldehyde, ammonia, and hydrocarbons that can be really bad for old cloth and leather?

I mean, you have some really, really primo helmets there sitting on styrofoam heads.

I have a buddy who collects headgear, and he swears by the hollow glass heads. They are only a little more expensive than the styrofoam ones (and nowhere near as expensive as the museum grade ones).

Anyway, great collection!

I may have to dig out my WW1 ones now!

Chris

THANK'S CHRIS I WILL CHECK INTO IT.

Lary-The helmets look great. If you go for the hollow glass heads Pier One Imports just started carrying them again. I think they are around $15.00 each for the clear ones.

Bob

THANK'S BOB. SEE YOU AT FORT MAC. SATURDAY.

Fantastic collection Birdman. I've seen some great collections of hard (post-war), flight helmets, buts yours is the first big collection of cloth & leather helmets I've seen. Top notch all the way! thumbsup.gif

Jumpin Jack

Good morning Birdman,

I've just returned from three weeks in Russia where I was able to view the Russian Army Museum. It was a memorable experience. Being able to see so many standartes in one place was awsome.

"Awsome" also applies to your collection of flight helmets! I'm very impressed with the array of goggles and oxygen masks as well. I find the modified helmets to be most interesting.

I have a bit over 20 different flight helmets, most with goggles and a few with the oxygen mask. I doubt if there is anything you don't already have.

I hope you will continue to regail us with your outstanding collection. Jack

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest butcher boy
post-619-1183392098.jpg

post-619-1183392124.jpg

ANY FLIGHT HELMET COLLECTOR'S OUT THERE?

Hello. Nice collection you've got there! I collect USAAF and RAF flight gear but as I started 4 years ago I haven't as much as you have ... :-)

Just curious, how long have you been hunting in order to obtain this collection?

Regards,

Michael

• 2 years later...
flight helmets 522
post-619-1183392098.jpg

post-619-1183392124.jpg

ANY FLIGHT HELMET COLLECTOR'S OUT THERE?

Your collection is amazing! I have a few WWII sets, but nothing like this. It must have taken a lot of time to accumulate so much.Great work!

birdman,

Chris

There is another alternative...wrap the styrofoam head with cloth...you could use different types of cloth for navy. air force WW1, WW2 etc.

Not as fragile as glass heads, yet still maintains a good look to it....check my thread under "My Mini Museum" in the "Displays" catagory.

Awesome looking group of stuff.

One question on the top shelve near the center is a head with round lens goggles...what is the scoop on those goggles??

Cheers

bedfordboyhite

Incredible collection! Flight helmets are one thing I'd love to get into, but I'm needing a much bigger budget than my current to start that end of my collection.

Thanks for sharing...

-RH