Does anyone use space saver bags?

navyman

My first thought would be the off gassing of the plastic, with a close 2d being afraid of the possibility of permanent wrinkles?

I'd vote no :thumbdown:

Hi,

I was thinking about trying these and if I did I would use tissue paper so the plastic would not be exposed to the clothing, I'm not sure about the wrinkles, the manufacture actually says the clothes would stay wrinkle free, but I can't confirm this.

Jason

Hi,

I was thinking about trying these and if I did I would use tissue paper so the plastic would not be exposed to the clothing, I'm not sure about the wrinkles, the manufacture actually says the clothes would stay wrinkle free, but I can't confirm this.

Jason

Jason, regular store bought tissue has a high acid content. I'm afraid you'd only be doubling your potential problem between the plastic and the tissue. You can purchase non-acid archival preservation tissue, this might help but, I'd have to agree that there's a very great potential problem involved with long term storage in plastic.

Jason, regular store bought tissue has a high acid content. I'm afraid you'd only be doubling your potential problem between the plastic and the tissue. You can purchase non-acid archival preservation tissue, this might help but, I'd have to agree that there's a very great potential problem involved with long term storage in plastic.

Thanks Bugme,

The only reason I thought this might be a good idea, is if there's no air contacting the garments, you could not have pests problems and shouldn't have mew dew problems. I not talking about rodents when I'm talking about pests. You would think the manufacture would use a plastic material that would not cause the garments to stain from gassing. Can that happen if there no air in the bag?

Jason

I have some practical experience with these. My wife bought some to store some blankets, and we found that about 2/3 of the time, the seals fail over time. Also, after a few years, the plastic they were made of became brittle, and would not stand up to any type of handling.

We were not rough on them, and its not like we stored them in our 'closet of razor blades and pointy sticks'... So for the cost, and the poor engineering, we do not buy them any more.

The company probably could engineer those problems out, but if they did the bags would be more expensive. Their target market is the "as seen on TV" crowd so price point is fairly important.

I have some practical experience with these. My wife bought some to store some blankets, and we found that about 2/3 of the time, the seals fail over time. Also, after a few years, the plastic they were made of became brittle, and would not stand up to any type of handling.

We were not rough on them, and its not like we stored them in our 'closet of razor blades and pointy sticks'... So for the cost, and the poor engineering, we do not buy them any more.

The company probably could engineer those problems out, but if they did the bags would be more expensive. Their target market is the "as seen on TV" crowd so price point is fairly important.

Cwnorma,

Thanks for your input, I check out there website www.spacebag.com and they say you should take the clothes out after 6 months to air them out and then re seal the bag. Was there any discoloring to the blankets cause by the plastic gassing?

Jason

Cwnorma,

Thanks for your input, I check out there website www.spacebag.com and they say you should take the clothes out after 6 months to air them out and then re seal the bag. Was there any discoloring to the blankets cause by the plastic gassing?

Jason

Jason,

Not that I could tell. I think that offgassing would only be a problem for very long term storage. Our chief complaint was the poor quality, and lack of durability. For storing fluffy things like blankets and pillows it really is a neat solution for getting more volume into less space, but again, whats the point if the seals leak and the bags break?

Chris

Jason,

Not that I could tell. I think that offgassing would only be a problem for very long term storage. Our chief complaint was the poor quality, and lack of durability. For storing fluffy things like blankets and pillows it really is a neat solution for getting more volume into less space, but again, whats the point if the seals leak and the bags break?

Chris

Thanks Chris :thumbsup:

Jason