1943 Jerry Can

Constabulary

I recently got a nice 1943 dated Jerry Can from East Germany (former GDR), very few rust inside, almost all of the interior coating is present.

This is the first I see with straight tongues on the lid (not roled tongues).

I wonder if this is still the original paint?

To me it looks like desert khaki as used by the Wehrmacht or something like that. But it seems not to be repainted. You still can see the red primer unter the khakie paint. No OD paint undeneath. Or is it a kind of early war paint?

I hope someone can help me with this.

I dont want to strip an original paint so I want to be safe before I do some restauration.

IMG_0593.jpg

To show the contrast, I took a pic in front of some OD equipment.

IMG_0614.jpg

more pictures:

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

My guess would be that it was sand blasted, primed, and repainted in a typically Tutonic thorough and craftsman-like fashion.

My guess would be that it was sand blasted, primed, and repainted in a typically Tutonic thorough and craftsman-like fashion.

That was my first thought also but on the otehr hand it comes from the former GDR area and I don´t think the commies took much care of the colour of a jerry can. You know what I mean? They had other problems, so generally I´d expect such a jerry can simply overpainted. Overpaint and go, you know what I mean?

If it had any rust in it,the only real solution at the time would have been to totally strip the paint and rust with a chemical dip.

So you also think the paint is not original to it, right?

So you also think the paint is not original to it, right?

I never say 'never', but I have been messing around with military vehicles for quite a few years,and have a large assortment of US cans. I have not seen one painted this color before.

Why strip that paint off,anyway? I think it would be very interesting to have a US can that had likely been pressed into Wehrmacht (or Soviet) service.

Generally you are right but the jerry can will go to a US WWII vehicle one day.

Yet I don´t have a vehicle but I´m grabbing some vehicle stuff together for the future ;)

BTW - any chance that you have an original gasket for a US WWII water jerry can?

Or with other words I need the measures so I can make some.