14th Armored Cavalry Regiment officers sateen shirt

Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

I see a lot of mid-1960's cotton sateen shirts, mostly USMC, but once in a while something from Seabees or the Army and they are usually very plain with perhaps - in the case of the Army - a US ARMY nametape above one pocket and the soldier's name above the other pocket. This is the first time I've seen one so nicely adorned with patches. This Lt was with the 14th Armored Cavalry Regiment on the NATO front lines in Germany. The unit patch on the shoulder and the embroidered crossed sabres on the collar make this one a colorful affair. I don't think I have seen branch insignia on an OD sateen shirt before. Was this a common practice?

14thcavcu.jpg

craig_pickrall

That is a nice find. It is correctly set up for an officer. The branch insignia with unit desigination is a nice touch. Interesting mix of color and subdued insignia.

Bob Hudson
Did you find this in a thrift store? If so its a great find!

I found five of them - identical! I've got some listed on ebay.

I found five of them - identical! I've got some listed on ebay.

Nice!

I would date this one about 1968 when they introduced subdued insignia. I suspect the background material for the 14th Cav collar insignia was OG-107 too, but it faded in washing.

G

Bob Hudson
Nice!

I would date this one about 1968 when they introduced subdued insignia. I suspect the background material for the 14th Cav collar insignia was OG-107 too, but it faded in washing.

G

On one of the shirts it looks like you can see the old yellow and black nametape under the subdued one. The 14th Cav collar insignia appear to be their original color although the background is in two shades. I'm on vacation (cruising north on I-29 in Missouri a long way from California) but when I get back I'll have to take some closeup photos of the two styles of collar insignia.

• 2 months later...
VolunteerArmoury

My father was in the 501st Medical of the 14th Cavalry Regiment at Fulda Gap in early '60's. All the uniforms from that era that I see of the 14th have the 7th Army SSI. What is the era for the 14th Cav SSI? I have some in subdued. Isn't it currently in the 172th Bde or 25th ID?

1st Squadron, 14th CAV (the unit shown on this shirts collar) is currently a Stryker "Reconnaissance, Surveillance and Target Acquisition" Squadron and is part of 2nd ID. I believe they are just finishing up a deployment to Iraq.

My father was in the 501st Medical of the 14th Cavalry Regiment at Fulda Gap in early '60's. All the uniforms from that era that I see of the 14th have the 7th Army SSI. What is the era for the 14th Cav SSI? I have some in subdued. Isn't it currently in the 172th Bde or 25th ID?

• 12 years later...