Lots of new ACU patches, ACU helmet cover

ClaptonIsGod

Today I went to surplus store with no real intent of getting anything particular other then some nice BDUs, and I only found these that I really was attracted to but the price was too high in my opinion so I passed. However, I brought along my camera as I was curious as to the patches. I also grabbed a lot of ACU patches to make a fantasy setup on the mint ACU jacket I got a while back, it already had the name tape so I just got the Army tape, a US flag, 26th ID patch, airborne tab, and 82nd A/B patch. Forgot the rank though, and don't think I saw any, so that is a later trip. I pulled out a 8th ID and a unit whose name I have at the tip of my tongue from the $00.25 bin. Also found a nice ACU PASGT cover for 5 bucks even though I was considering some 1976 ERDL M1 helmet covers. I might grab one of those on another trip. Ok, so my questions are, knowing nothing about current uniforms, is the patch placement correct? Also, I'd like to ID the patches on the overpriced BDU. They had 3 to the same guy. I suppose I could have gotten a partially stripped one and replaced missing insignia, but oh well. Unlike the MARPAT cover I got a while back, this ACU cover fits like a glove, and I will use it, the ACU top, and some pants I'll get eventually perhaps in a display. Thanks.

Overall shot of my pickups

post-4251-1267311401.jpg

the patches on the BDU's are the 18th Airborne Corps and the Massachusetts National Guard. On the ACU's place the airborne tab directly over the 82nd DIV SSI. You will have to lower it to fit. Don't place the tab on the pocket flap.

The US Flag SSI is technically not authorized in a subdued embroidered version and most importantly it is facing the wrong way. You should have a flag in either full color embroidered or IR. I know you see many subdued embroidered version being worn that is why I said "Technically” regulations are not always followed. But the reverse pattern Flag should be worn regardless.

In addition to Patchrat and Hawkdriver's comments, it looks like your helmet cover is made for the civilian market - I don't see the covers for the IR reflective tabs, both of which are sewn to the issue ACH covers. Issue covers run $16 at clothing sales, FWIW.

Steve

In addition to Patchrat and Hawkdriver's comments, it looks like your helmet cover is made for the civilian market - I don't see the covers for the IR reflective tabs, both of which are sewn to the issue ACH covers. Issue covers run $16 at clothing sales, FWIW.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I know it isn't issue, it's made by Rothco and for $5 I figured it would be a good displayer.

Alright, thanks, 82nd A/B fixed, I guess I'll just leave the flag on since I paid 4$, and you guys said it's plausible.

It would only be plausible if it were a reversed flag. The only flags authorized are the reversed IR flag or reversed colored flag. As patchrat said, some people woud wear embroderied subdued flags until a SGM caught them. I wore one on my OTV DAP, just because the IR flags were hard to come by when we first got in country.

Thanks Steve, I know it isn't issue, it's made by Rothco and for $5 I figured it would be a good displayer.

ACU covers on Kevlar Helmets are common for ROTC, especially at RIT. You can ask schottize because he used to go to RIT too and he was in ROTC.

Also, a quick question. Did you find them in Army Barracks? I was unable to locate loose patch bin.

Yes, I did. Also saw a few nice USCENTAF major's DCUs but no name or branch tapes so I passed. Unfortunately, patches weren't loose, though :lol: . All the ACU patches set me back $4 apiece, except the Airborne tab with was $3.

Also, I saw a quite large rectangular ammo box with a lot of markings on it, had to be a missile of sorts, I remember it said "XEROX" and "CALIF". Was $40, I just didn't know where I'd put it but perhaps I'll go back for one.

Yes, I did. Also saw a few nice USCENTAF major's DCUs but no name or branch tapes so I passed. Unfortunately, patches weren't loose, though :lol: . All the ACU patches set me back $4 apiece, except the Airborne tab with was $3.

Half of DCUs out there have name tapes removed. If they still have patches (SSI, flag, and rank), then grab them.

Half of DCUs out there have name tapes removed. If they still have patches (SSI, flag, and rank), then grab them.

Too many.. it adds up too much.

Darktrooper
It would only be plausible if it were a reversed flag. The only flags authorized are the reversed IR flag or reversed colored flag. As patchrat said, some people woud wear embroderied subdued flags until a SGM caught them. I wore one on my OTV DAP, just because the IR flags were hard to come by when we first got in country.

I wore a subdued reversed flag my entire year in Afghanistan in 2005-2006. Nothing was ever said to me, and where I was, was a regular tour spot for the High ups.

I wore a subdued reversed flag my entire year in Afghanistan in 2005-2006. Nothing was ever said to me, and where I was, was a regular tour spot for the High ups.

The key word is "authorized". Acording to te ALARAC message, that is what is authorized. What you get away with is an entirely different thing. I know the MNC-I wear policy mirrored the ALARAC. I am not versed on A-stan, it could be that you can wear subdued cloth.

Darktrooper
The key word is "authorized". Acording to te ALARAC message, that is what is authorized. What you get away with is an entirely different thing. I know the MNC-I wear policy mirrored the ALARAC. I am not versed on A-stan, it could be that you can wear subdued cloth.

I think AR-670-1 became AS (Army Suggestion)-670-1 when people hit country. I saw units that were wearing their States Flag on their Sleeve, then i saw that patch that had a Star with the US Army underneath it. We called that the Cobra Commander patch. I even saw Full color IR reverse flags being worn. Not to mention the Pin on badges on the ACU. I even saw someone (a CSM) who had Airborne Wings, and a CIB made on ACU cloth and sewn onto his uniform.

then i saw that patch that had a Star with the US Army underneath it. We called that the Cobra Commander patch.

That is actually a authorized patch, it is the command patch. It is what Petraeus and Cody wore wile I was in Iraq. I just saw several "stars" wearing it at the AMEC conference last week.

ACU covers on Kevlar Helmets are common for ROTC, especially at RIT. You can ask schottize because he used to go to RIT too and he was in ROTC.

Also, a quick question. Did you find them in Army Barracks? I was unable to locate loose patch bin.

That's funny, I graduated from RIT but never really saw much of the ROTC folks. I didn't get to see much of their gear.

Mercenary25
That's funny, I graduated from RIT but never really saw much of the ROTC folks. I didn't get to see much of their gear.

Wow cool, I graduated from RIT as well.